WKU preparing for opening of fall 2012 semester; classes begin Aug. 27
|Date: Friday, August 17th, 2012||Return to Archive|
Classes for the fall 2012 semester at WKU begin Aug. 27. Here are some key events and reminders:
- Class of 2016 arrives: First-year students will begin arriving this weekend (Aug. 18-19) for M.A.S.T.E.R. (Making Academic and Social Transitions Educationally Rewarding) Plan activities. M.A.S.T.E.R. plan begins Sunday (Aug. 19) and continues through Aug. 23. A M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan Commuter Program for first-year commuter students will be held Sunday and Monday (Aug. 19-20). In addition to educational workshops and informational sessions, activities include Convocation, Class of 2016 photo and a concert by 3OH!3 on Sunday (Aug. 19); CloseUP Theater Troupe and Student Alumni Association’s R.O.A.R./Red Towel Scavenger Hunt on Monday (Aug. 20); WKandU, Solo Circus, dodgeball tournament and ghost story tour on Tuesday (Aug. 21). comedian Kelly Taylor and Student Activities’ Foam Party on Wednesday (Aug. 22); and Big Red’s Blitz community service event, Campus and Community Involvement Fair, the World’s Largest Water Balloon Fight and the Closing Ceremony on Thursday (Aug. 23).
- International student orientation: The Office of International Student and Scholar Services will conduct a daylong orientation for about 140 new international students on Aug. 22 followed by a picnic at the president’s home at 5 p.m.
- Residence halls open: Residence halls open for all non-M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan participants at 8 a.m. Aug. 23.
- Academic Transitions Program: ATP sessions will be conducted Aug. 23.
- Opening convocation: The President’s Opening Convocation for faculty and staff will begin at 8 a.m. Aug. 24 at Van Meter Hall.
- Welcome Back WKU Festival: The annual event will be held from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Aug. 29 at the Centennial Mall area.
- WKU football kicks off: The Hilltoppers open the 2012 season at 6 p.m. Sept. 1 against Austin Peay at Houchens Industries-L.T. Smith Stadium. The fourth annual Family Fun Day will be held from 4 to 6 p.m. Aug. 25 at the stadium. A Wear Your College Colors Pep Rally, featuring Coach Willie Taggart, players, cheerleaders, dance team and Big Red, will be held from 12:15 to 12:45 p.m. Aug. 31 at Centennial Mall.
- Freshman Assembly: The annual event for first-year students will be held at 6 p.m. Sept. 4 at Diddle Arena.
DUC renovation reminder
Renovation of the Downing University Center began last spring so several offices, some dining facilities and the WKU Store have relocated.
The Fresh Food Company will be located at the Topper Café on the South Lawn; the Red Zone and DUC Food Court remain open; Subway has moved to Bates-Runner Hall; a new Panda Express is opening at Garrett Conference Center; and the WKU Restaurant & Catering Group office has relocated to Garrett Conference Center, room 100. Other offices that have moved from DUC include the ID Center and WKU Postal Services to Garrett Conference Center, room 100; Student Activities and Student Government Association to Cravens Library, room 13; and the WKU Store to Garrett Conference Center Ballroom.
For more on the DUC renovation, visit http://www.wku.edu/duc_renovation/index.php
As the fall semester begins at WKU, students, faculty and staff will find several improvements around campus by WKU’s Parking and Transportation Services. Read more about a new parking garage, parking lot improvements, shuttle lines and more at http://wkunews.wordpress.com/2012/08/15/pts-fall2012/
Academic leadership changes/additions
WKU’s Academic Affairs office and academic colleges have made the following changes: Academic Affairs — Ladonna Hunton, Associate Vice President for Academic Budgets & Administration; Dr. Joelle Davis Carter, Assistant Vice President for Retention and Student Services; Graduate Studies & Research — Dr. Kelly Madole, Interim Dean; Dr. Jim Berger, Acting Associate Dean; Gordon Ford College of Business — Dr. Michelle Trawick, Associate Dean for Faculty and Administration; Dr. Bob Hatfield, Associate Dean for Graduate Programs and Research; College of Education and Behavioral Sciences – Dr. Janet Applin, Associate Dean for Academic Programs; Dr. Jacqueline Pope-Tarrence, Associate Dean for Accountability and Research; Dr. Tony Norman, Interim Head, Department of Educational Administration, Leadership and Research; Maj. Stephan Walters, Interim Head, Department of Military Science; Dr. Sylvia Dietrich, Interim Head, School of Teacher Education; College of Health and Human Services — Dr. Richard Patterson, Assistant Dean for Facilities and Management; Ogden College of Science and Engineering – Dr. Bruce Kessler, Interim Head, Department of Mathematics; Dr. James Gary, Interim Head, Department of Computer Science; Dr. Cathleen Webb, Associate Dean for Research; Potter College of Arts & Letters — Dr. Andrew McMichael, Interim Head, Department of English; University College — Dr. Bill Walter, Interim Assistant Director, WKU-Glasgow Campus.
Many offices and departments at WKU are using social media to connect with students, faculty, staff, alumni and community members. Learn more at WKU’s Social Media directory at http://www.wku.edu/social/
Contact: Media Relations, (270) 745-4295.
- All Categories
- Academic Outreach
- Continuing & Professional Development
- Distance Learning
- Summer Sessions
- Winter Term
- Career & Workforce Development
- Lifelong Learning
- Society for Lifelong Learning
- WKU On Demand
- Study Away
- Faculty-Led Study Abroad
- Center for Faculty Development
- Cohort Programs
- Dual Credit
- Conferencing & Catering
- All Categories
- March 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- April 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- JUNE 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2015 E-Newsletter
- December 2015 ICYMI
- January 2016 ICYMI
- MAY 2016 ICYMI
- February 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS July 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
December 10, 2016
The National Science Foundation has awarded WKU Biology Professor Shivendra Sahi a grant to fund his research project.
The Family and Consumer Sciences department at WKU is pleased to announce that it has received notice that the Interior Design Bachelor of Science degree has been granted accreditation by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD).
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,