Changes to Kentucky Laws For Prescribing Controlled Substances May Affect You
|Date: Thursday, July 19th, 2012||Return to Archive|
In April the Kentucky Legislation passed, and Governor Beshear signed in to law House Bill 1, a bill proposed to control the abuse of prescription drugs. The law goes into effect July 20th and may affect you.
This law applies to all Schedule II medications and Schedule III medications containing Hydrocodone. This means that medications used to treat ADD/ADHD are covered by this law.
The law requires that prior to prescribing of a covered controlled substances, the practitioner must:
- Perform a complete history & physical and document it in the medical record
- Query KASPER (a registry of a patient’s prescriptions for all controlled substances) for data available on the patient
- Document a written treatment plan stating the objectives of treatment
- Discuss and obtain written informed consent regarding the use and potential tolerance and drug dependence of controlled substances
There are further requirements for long term use of controlled medications.
This new legislation may affect how often you need to be seen and require some additional paperwork at certain visits.
If you have questions regarding House Bill 1, you may contact:
Governor Beshear: http://governor.ky.gov/Pages/contact.aspx
Speaker of the House, Greg Stumbo: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/legislator/H095.htm
Your local legislator: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/whoswho/email.htm
Summary of House Bill 1 can be found here: http://kbml.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/65B22406-2177-4735-8DB8-B28F66903661/0/KBMLSummaryofHB1.pdf
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Make this year's spring break memorable by having fun and staying safe. Below is a guide to help you make safe choices during spring break.
Banishing belly fat and taking back your health, while eating the foods you love. 5 calorie-saving tips.
Around 300 students visited the spring 2014 Study Abroad Fair in MMTH to learn how they could earn credit on education abroad programs offered through WKU.