Groves named ministry-level finalist for national award in China
|Date: Thursday, July 5th, 2012||Return to Archive|
China’s Ministry of Land and Resources has named WKU Hydrogeologist Chris Groves as a finalist for the 2012 People’s Republic of China Friendship Award, that country’s highest award honoring foreign experts working in China.
The Ministry has now submitted Dr. Groves’ name to the national China Foreign Expert Office for consideration at the highest level, the results of which are announced each year in late September prior to the award ceremony in Beijing that coincides with China’s National Day.
Fifty individuals from around the world are selected each year for the honor, which is given to “foreign experts who have made outstanding contributions to the country’s economic and social progress.”
The Ministry’s nomination cites Dr. Groves’ efforts in three areas: 1) leadership in building United Nations scientific programs in water resources, 2) efforts to enhance water resources development in poverty-stricken areas of rural southwest China, and 3) providing opportunities for the advancement of Chinese scientists.
Dr. Groves, who directs WKU’s Hoffman Environmental Research Institute, first travelled to China with his wife Deana in 1995 on a WKU exchange program led by Dr. Wei Ping Pan of WKU’s Institute for Combustion Science and Environmental Technology. On that trip they travelled to the Institute of Karst Geology in Guilin, and since have been working closely with scientists and students there and elsewhere in the country.
Geography and Geology Department Head David Keeling noted that “Dr. Groves expertise on and commitment to China and its water resources are widely recognized in the scientific community. This nomination to be recognized as a Foreign Expert is a wonderful testament to Chris’ long-term involvement in China and his efforts to improve the quality of life for millions of Chinese.”
Contact: Chris Groves, (270) 745-4555.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
May 27th - May 31st
Parking and Transit Service May 13 to May 31
Map and Tentative Schedule
The World Council for Gifted and Talented Children will host its 20th Biennial World Conference, "Celebrating Giftedness and Creativity," August 10-14, 2013, at the Galt House Hotel and Conference Center in Louisville, KY.