Job Opening: Health Educator
|Author: Terri F.|
Date: Thursday, June 7th, 2012
|Return to Archive|
WESTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES
Western Kentucky University, Department of Health Services is seeking qualified applicants for a Health Educator. This position reports to the Assistant Director of Health Education. This position is a full-time professional 12 month position. Anticipated start date is August 6, 2012 (subject for negotiation)
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties and responsibilities are customary for this position. They are not to be construed as all-inclusive, and therefore may be added, deleted and assigned based on management discretion and institutional needs.
- Plan, implement, and evaluate theory- and evidence-based health promotion strategies, policies, programs, and services.
- Develop strategic plans, goals, and measurable objectives for health promotion programs and services.
- Actively conduct health and wellness presentations to the campus community with a primary emphasis on the student body.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders on and off campus to develop a comprehensive, multidisciplinary approach to health for students
- Assist with the hiring, training, management, supervision, and evaluation of paid and/or volunteer student staff, interns, and/or peer educators.
- Develop, implement, and analyze periodic student health surveys that 1) provide baseline and follow-up health data, 2) identify departmental needs and priorities, 3) evaluate effectiveness of interventions, and 4) track trends in student health status and behavior.
- Maintain an active, relevant and up-to-date Health Education website.
- Work a flexible schedule as needed including availability for presentations and meetings on nights and some weekends.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health, Health Promotion, Health Education or a related field and/or 1-3 years of health promotion-related experience preferably in higher education.
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to obtain professional continuing education preferably for the Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) or Certified Public Health (CPH).
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Knowledge of the ACHA Standards of Practice for Health Promotion in Higher Education (SPHPHE)
- Demonstrated knowledge to conceptualize health promotion in the context of higher education.
- Demonstrated knowledge of health promotion, behavior change, and population-based theories and models.
- Demonstrated knowledge of evidence-based health promotion programs/initiatives.
- Familiarity with social marketing and health communications strategies.
- Skills in a variety of educational methods including presentations, workshops, trainings, individual behavior change sessions, and small group discussion/facilitation.
- Effective public relations skills and strong organizational, motivational, communication, writing, and computer skills.
- Outstanding people skills, maturity and sensitivity to cultural, sexual, religious and racial differences among people
- Proficiency in a variety of computer software applications (e.g. MS Word & Excel for reports, spreadsheet and data generation, PowerPoint, statistical software, web design, and graphic design software, etc.).
- Independent focus and excellent organizational & time management skills.
Physical and Mental Abilities Required:
- Ability to perform in a traditional office setting
- Must display and maintain a personal commitment to health and wellness
- Must display high level of professionalism, sound judgment, decisiveness
- Ability to perform in a leadership capacity with impact
Salary Grade: 106
Expected Salary Range: $28,000.00 - $32,000.00 Annually. (Pending qualifications) with full university benefits, 12-month appointment.
Applications for employment will be accepted electronically only. Interested candidates must submit a letter of application addressing the required qualifications, a current resume, and the names, addresses, and daytime telephone numbers of three professional references using the on-line application process. Please refer to the following website to apply: http://asaweb.wku.edu/wkujobs. Reference requisition number S3293. For further assistance call (270) 745-5934. To ensure full consideration please submit application materials by June 29, 2012. Position will remain open until filled.
Western Kentucky University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, religion, or marital status in admission to career and technical education programs and/or activities, or employment practices in accordance with Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Revised 1992, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Wednesday, December 17th to Sunday, January 20th
Reduced services will be in effect during the Winter Break.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,