WKU students on Semester at Sea
|Author: Joey Besl|
Date: Wednesday, May 2nd, 2012
|Return to Archive|
JEFF WALKER SAILS AROUND THE WORLD
ON SEMESTER AT SEA
Walker Joins 570 College Students on Global Study-Abroad Program
Aboard the MV Explorer, April 30- Jeff Walker, from Wilmore, Ky., is one of nearly 570 students sailing this spring on Semester at Sea (SAS), the U.S. shipboard program for study abroad.
Walker and his fellow students are finishing a 105-day voyage to 12 countries around the globe. This 108th voyage of Semester at Sea departed Nassau, The Bahamas on January 19th and has since traveled to Dominica, Brazil, Ghana, South Africa, Mauritius, India, Singapore, Viet Nam, China, Japan, and Hawai’i. The voyage will end in San Diego, Calif. on May 2nd.
Walker, who is majoring in both international affairs and nutrition at Western Kentucky University, knew that he wanted to study abroad and, through SAS, he’s been working towards his degree while sailing around the world, taking classes in politics of development and development economics. After he graduates, he hopes to combine his interests and work abroad in nutrition in developing countries.
Walker, a sophomore at Western Kentucky University, first heard of Semester at Sea from Jessamine County resident Daniel Williams, who sailed on the Spring voyage in 2011. “I was having trouble deciding where I might want to study abroad,” Walker mentioned of his SAS selection. “This is a good way to see different parts of the world, which I was really excited about.”
“It’s life-changing,” Walker said, reflecting on the past several months with Semester at Sea. “The experiences have been amazing.”
STEPHEN FARLEY SAILS AROUND THE WORLD
ON SEMESTER AT SEA
Farley Joins 570 College Students on Global Study-Abroad Program
Aboard the MV Explorer, April 29- Stephen Farley, from Franklin, Ky., is one of nearly 570 students sailing this spring on Semester at Sea (SAS), the U.S. shipboard program for study abroad.
Farley and his fellow classmates are finishing a 105-day voyage to 12 countries around the globe. This 108th voyage of Semester at Sea departed Nassau, The Bahamas on January 19th and has since traveled to Dominica, Brazil, Ghana, South Africa, Mauritius, India, Singapore, Viet Nam, China, Japan, and Hawai’i. The voyage will end in San Diego, Calif. on May 2nd.
Farley, a sophomore at Western Kentucky University, has been working towards his degree in marketing by taking classes on SAS while sailing around the world. His semester abroad has provided a unique worldwide perspective through classes such as International Business and Global Marketing. When in port, Farley traveled with his business professors and classmates to sites including a Japanese trading company, a global distributor in Brazil, and the World Bank offices in Ghana.
“It’s definitely been incredible and opened me up to several opportunities,” Farley said, reflecting on the past several months. “I never thought I would be interested in doing business in internationally, but now I would love to work in China. It’s definitely opened me up to international travel.”
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Details about the Alpha Psi Omega Freshman Cabaret at WKU.
Detailed information about an upcoming audition for Six Characters in Search of an Author