Stevens named dean of Ogden College of Science and Engineering
|Date: Monday, October 24th, 2011||Return|
Cheryl Stevens, associate dean for Scholarship at Xavier University of Louisiana in New Orleans, will become the new dean of WKU’s Ogden College of Science and Engineeringin January.
“I am delighted to welcome Dr. Stevens to WKU,” Provost Gordon Emslie said. “She is an accomplished scholar and brings extensive experience in leadership roles at both the department and college level. I am confident that she will provide Ogden College with strong and visionary leadership as it moves forward.”
Dr. Stevens joined Xavier as a member of the Chemistry faculty in 1982. In 2005 she was named chair of the Chemistry Department and was appointed associate dean in 2009. She is also an adjunct professor at the University of New Orleans and the Tulane University Health Sciences Center in New Orleans.
“I am thrilled to have been chosen as the new dean of Ogden College at WKU,” Dr. Stevens said. “I look forward to being part of the progressive changes, opportunities and growth that are sure to be part of this university’s future.”
Dr. Stevens has a bachelor’s degree in chemistry from the University of Tampa and a doctorate in physical chemistry and post-doctoral study from the University of New Orleans.
She is the Margaret C. Kelly Endowed Professor of Chemistry, recipient of the Norman C. Francis Excellence in Scholarship Award and a member of the U.S. National Committee on Crystallography. She has been involved in more than $18 million in grant-funded projects since 1984.
Dr. Stevens’ research interests involve structural studies of small molecule inhibitors of cytochrome P450 and tyrosine kinase. These inhibitors have been shown to block the initiation or progression of certain types of cancers. Structural studies involve the use of small molecule single crystal x-ray diffraction, molecular modeling and experimental charge density analysis.
Dr. Stevens will begin Jan. 23, 2012, replacing Dr. Blaine Ferrell, who is retiring.
Ogden College of Science and Engineering encompasses the applied and basic sciences, offering a broad range of degree programs in agriculture, biology, chemistry, computer science, construction management, engineering, geography, geology, architectural design, manufacturing sciences, mathematics, meteorology, and physics and astronomy. Ogden College also offers a cooperative doctoral program in chemistry with the University of Louisville.
Contact: Gordon Emslie, (270) 745-2297.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Details regarding upcoming auditions for the WKU Theatre & Dance production of Lily Plants a Garden.
Details regarding auditions for The Enchanted Attic at WKU
Announcement regarding last minute addition to class schedule: Musical Theatre Ensemble.
Announcement about Theatre & Dance Convocation for Fall 2014 semester.
Detailed information about an upcoming audition for Six Characters in Search of an Author