Fireside Chat begins to encourage healthy eating
|Author: Jasmine K.|
Date: Monday, October 3rd, 2011
|Return to Archive|
Eating healthy at college is difficult because each individual faces a “dining hall dilemma.” Fireside Chat is a nutrition series developed to meet the nutritional needs of students by WKU Health Services and WKU Restaurant & Catering Group. Students gather around the fireplace in WKU Health Services for a casual discussion about food led by Melanie Powell, Registered Dietitian for WKU students. A healthy snack is provided with a cup of hot chocolate. This series occurs during October through February (WKU Health Education Programs).
For those who have trouble finding the food that they like, the solution is simple; be creative. Students can prepare their own healthy meals on campus by combining foods from diverse eating locations. For example, students can add fruit to oatmeal or yogurt from the salad bar to cereal.
Many schools offer vegetarian entrees at all locations. Students can piece together vegetarian meals by opting for meatless pasta at the pasta bar or by putting peanut butter on a bagel or apple slices. Luckily, here at Western Kentucky University, there are many locations such as Subway, Izzies, and Einstein Bagels that offer vegan options.
Let’s face it; a lot of individuals don’t have time to eat during “routine” lunch and dinner hours. For students who do not have time to actually sit down and savor a meal, they can pack an on-the-go light lunch or carry snacks such as fruit, trail mix, or an energy bar.
Maintaining healthy nutrition is simple; eat an assortment of foods and try not to skip meals throughout the day. If students want to get the most out of their meals, they should try to eat a balance of leans meats, foods high in fiber, and healthy fats such as nuts, oil, and fish. Also, to supplement their healthy eating habits, students should make time in their schedules to incorporate at least thirty minutes of physical exercise into their schedule.
Join us on Tuesday, October 4, 2011 at 6:00pm in Health Services Lobby for Hot Chocolate, a snack and tips about eating on campus.
For more information, please visit the Fireside Chat page at:
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
May 27th - May 31st
Parking and Transit Service May 13 to May 31
Map and Tentative Schedule
The World Council for Gifted and Talented Children will host its 20th Biennial World Conference, "Celebrating Giftedness and Creativity," August 10-14, 2013, at the Galt House Hotel and Conference Center in Louisville, KY.