Students Competed at FGI Dallas Career Day
|Date: Sunday, May 1st, 2011||Return to Archive|
STUDENTS COMPETED AT FGI DALLAS CAREER DAY
DALLAS, TX –
Top students from more than 40 colleges and universities across the country competed for more than $30,000 in scholarship prizes from The Fashion Group International of Dallas Foundation in partnership with the Texas Department of Agriculture at the 43rd Annual Career Day on Friday, April 1, at The Dallas World Trade Center. Cindy Jones, DMT faculty along with four students, Kristie Moesner, Samantha Wheeler, Johanna Studinski and Tyler Estes traveled to Dallas for the Career Day Competition.
Regarded as the longest running and largest fashion career event of its kind in the country, Fashion Group of Dallas Career Day annually attracts more than 1000 outstanding students and faculty from colleges and universities across 12 states. Students in the fashion and lifestyle industries travel to Dallas to participate in Career Day’s 23 educational seminars and workshops, as well as compete for scholarship prizes in a variety of design and merchandising categories. The much-anticipated event provides students the unique opportunity to get up close and personal with the movers and shakers in Dallas’ fashion industry.
This year, two new design competitions have been added in the Bridal category, sponsored by Mon Cheri Bridal, and Best of Show in Needle Arts sponsored by the The National Needle Arts Association (TNNA). An additional new scholarship has been added from the Linda Segal Scholarship Fund sponsored by Cure Couture.
Career Day is most well known for its exciting student design competitions, culminating in a full-scale runway show produced by well-known producer Rhonda Sargent Chambers showcasing hundreds of student designs on professional runway models.
More than 700 student entries are received for the design, as well as merchandising and trend board competitions. This year 4 students from Western Kentucky University, Design, Merchandising and Textile program competed in the Repurposed Denim design competition. All four students garments were selected to be in the exhibit that was presented for the day and three of the four were included in the Runway show that is held at the end of the day. Along with the Texas Department of Agriculture, the slate of scholarship sponsors also includes Dillards, Sharon Young/Jerell, Brad Hughes & Associates, DAVACO, Dallas Market Center, Lori Veith, FGI Four-Legged Fashion Fund, and Neiman Marcus Willow Bend. Fashion Group International of Dallas and Texas Women’s University sponsor the coveted Best of Show award --tuition for one month at the acclaimed Paris American Academy, plus air fare and a spending allowance.
Fashion Group International of Dallas is a global, non-profit association of dynamic professionals of achievement and influences from all areas of the fashion industry – apparel, accessories, beauty and home. FGI’s mission is to be the preeminent authority on the business of fashion and design and to help its members become more effective in their careers. Fashion Group provides a high-profile forum to promote the fashion business by hosting events that educate, facilitate the exchange of ideas, and that give back to the community. Visit http://dallas.fgi.org for more information.
Dallas Career Day, hosted by Fashion Group International of Dallas, was conceived as a way to provide a philanthropic, educational outreach program for college and university students seeking careers in the fashion and lifestyle industries.
Over its 40-year history in Dallas, Career Day has recognized more than 6,500 young designers and provided an educational forum for as many as 31,500 students.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
WKU football takes on UAB at home on Saturday, October 4, 2014.
Thursday, October 2nd - Sunday, October 5th
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,