9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Lunch provided during 45-minute period around Noon
Tuesday - Thursday
8:00 AM - 3:30 PM
Lunch provided during 45-minute period around 11:30
8:00 AM - 12:00 PM
No lunch provided
July 6 - 24, 2015
Classes will meet in the WKU Thompson Complex, Central Wing
Questions about the workshop should be directed to Dr. Richard Gelderman.
Two registration options available:
Registration Deadline is midnight Friday, June 12
There is a limit of twenty participants for this workshop, first-come/first-served
What is Physics Modeling Instruction?
Modeling instruction is organized so that students move through all phases of developing, evaluating and applying useful models of physical phenomena. The teacher sets the stage for student activities, typically with a demonstration and class discussion to establish common understanding of a question to be asked of nature. Then, in small groups, students collaborate in planning and conducting experiments to answer or clarify the question. Students conclude by presenting and justifying their conclusions in oral and/or written form, including a formulation of models for the phenomena in question and evaluation of the models by comparison with data.
The objectives of physics Modeling instruction are to:
- engage students in understanding the physical world by constructing and using scientific models to describe, explain, predict, and control physical phenomena;
- provide students with basic conceptual tools for modeling physical processes and objects; especially mathematical, graphical and diagrammatic representations;
- develop skill in all aspects of modeling as the procedural core of scientific knowledge;
- familiarize students with a small set of basic models as the content core of physics;
- develop insight into the structure of scientific knowledge by examining how models fit into theories; and show how scientific knowledge is validated by engaging students in evaluating scientific models through comparison with empirical data.
WKU Students may take advantage of Residence Hall accommodations.
Visit the Summer School Housing website for more information.
Staybridge Inn and Suites
Staybridge Inn and Suites offers government rates and discounts for extended stays. Share the parking lot with WKU Parking and Transportation for convenient shuttle service.
Visit the Staybridge website for more information.
Additional accommodation options can be found by visiting the Knicely Conference Center website.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,