If a University department, employee, or external agency requests that Lifelong Learning provide CEUs for an offering not planned and presented by the Lifelong Learning office, certain information must be submitted by the person responsible for planning and implementing the continuing education offering. The Lifelong Learning office must evaluate the program before CEUs will be determined.
The criteria for determining if Continuing Education Units can be granted by an institution are prescribed by the Commission on Colleges, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. These criteria are officially administered at Western Kentucky University by the Lifelong Learning office, in cooperation with Western Kentucky University academic departments.
The purpose of the oversight of the CEU process by the Lifelong Learning office is to ensure consistency for the granting of Continuing Education Units across all departments of the university. Please use the below information to plan any continuing education activity that may involve the granting of CEUs. Please note that no CEUs will be awarded if all guidelines are not followed.
The required submission information is described below:
- Criteria for Official CEU Programs
- Procedures for Awarding CEUs
- Checklist for Continuing Education Units
Criteria for Official CEU Programs
- Needs Identification
The non-credit program is planned in response to the identified needs of a target audience. The topic should have relevance to the learners, educational goals and/or job requirements.
There should be evidence of pre-planning that includes participation by the representatives of the target group to be served and the faculty/presenter having the content expertise. IT is suggested that a representative from Lifelong Learning be included in the pre-planning phase to assist with the logistical aspects of the activity.
- Determining the Number of CEUs
The number of contact hours of instruction and appropriate CEUs to be awarded are determined prior to conducting a learning experience. Proposed programs with less than ten hours of instruction (1.0 CEU) should be carefully considered against the required criteria to ensure that sufficient time is available to build a measurable competency that can be considered a significant continuing education experience.
To maintain accuracy and consistency, final determination of the number of CEUs rests with the designated department for administering the Institution’s CEU system. At Western Kentucky University, Lifelong Learning is responsible for oversight of all official CEU programs.
- Learning Outcomes
The program materials have clear and concise written statements of intended learning outcomes. Determination is made through what skills, knowledge and/or attitudes the learner can demonstrate at the conclusion of the program. These outcomes should be listed in the promotional materials.
- Providers of the Instruction
The instructional staff for the program should have the following qualifications:
- Competence in the subject matter.
- Understanding of the purposes and intended learning outcomes of the continuing education activity.
- Knowledge and skills in the instructional methodologies to be used.
- Ability to communicate the educational content to the participants at the appropriate level of understanding.
- Program Structure
The content and instructional methodologies are consistent with the stated learning outcomes, sequenced from basic to advanced levels to facilitate learning and structured to permit opportunities for the learner to participate and receive feedback.
- Assessment for Satisfactory Completion
The requirements for satisfactory completion of the program and awarding of the CEU are established prior to the offering of the program by the mutual agreement of the course or event coordinator, the instructor and Lifelong Learning. The requirements should be based on either the ability of the participants to demonstrate what they have learned, predetermined levels of attendance at sessions or a combination of performance and attendance.
Performance-based achievements should be based on a match with the intended learning outcomes. Formal results should be reported and maintained on the CEU transcript. Currently, assessment may take several forms:
- Performance demonstrations under real or simulated conditions
- Written or oral exams
- Written reports
- Completion of reports or projects
- Standardized examinations
- Attendance *
*When used, attendance-based achievements should be set at a high level(a minimum of 90%) and must be documented by attendance rosters or sign-in sheets. Copies of attendance rosters must be furnished to Lifelong Learning.
- Evaluation of the Program
There is a distinction between assessment and evaluation. Assessment refers to the measurement of individual learning outcomes based on the objectives. Evaluation refers to the measure of the quality of the program and the continuing education experience as a whole. A standardized evaluation from can be provided by Lifelong Learning with an opportunity for the sponsoring organization to add additional questions, if desired.
Procedures for Awarding CEUs
- One Continuing Education Unit (CEU) is ten (10) contact hours of participation in an organized continuing education experience under responsible sponsorship, capable direction and qualified instruction. CEU Criteria and Guidelines (1988), p. 9.
- "Program" is used throughout this document to refer to an organized continuing education experience.
- The person requesting the Continuing Education Units should:
- Complete the Course Proposal Form and the Checklist for CEU Courses. Both are available from the Lifelong Learning office. Examples of each form are included here.
- Submit these forms to Lifelong Learning at least one month before the information on CEU availability that is needed for the program or program advertising. This will allow time for any changes or clarifications.
- A signed copy of the "Checklist" will be returned to you approving the program as a CEU activity. Individual participant CEU request forms are provided by Lifelong Learning. DO NOT alter the forms in any way.
- At the conclusion of the program, the following items must be returned to Lifelong
Learning no later than two (2) weeks after program completion:
- All completed CEU request forms, in alphabetical order.
- A roster with the session title at the top, session date below the title, a numbered alphabetical list of all persons requesting CEUs and their social security numbers, and the signature of the program coordinator.
The cost of the CEU charged by Lifelong Learning is $15.00 per person/per approved
program for domestic programs and $25.00 per person/per approved program for international
This fee is for the processing of CEU requests and maintenance of the student’s file
with Western Kentucky University. A Transcript can be obtained by sending a written request to Lifelong Learning with
the $3.00 fee.
- If the seminar fee is to be charged to the participants and collected by Lifelong Learning, the CEU fee will be added into the advertised price and no billing is necessary.
- If the Department/Sponsor is collecting the fees or paying the costs of the seminar, a bill will be sent to the Department/Sponsor after the CEU forms are processed.
- If the Department/Sponsor requires substantial additional costs for processing the CEUs, such as mailing certificates individually, an additional fee of $2.00 - $5.00 may be added to the initial cost.
- CEU certificates will be available from Lifelong Learning for each participant. They will be returned to the sponsoring organization for distribution. Organizations or Departments wishing to use their own certificates may do so as long as an approved copy is kept on file in the Lifelong Learning office for audit purposes.
Checklist for Continuing Education Units
In order for your course to receive official continuing education units (CEUs) from Western Kentucky University, we must have the following information on file. Approval to offer CEUs for any continuing education activity must be obtained in advance of advertising your event. Please use the checklist below to assemble your materials. Thank you.
Items to be submitted to Lifelong Learning:
- Course Proposal Form
- List of Learning Objectives and their Outcomes
- A Blank Course Evaluation Form
- Estimated Number of Participants
- Itinerary or Agenda of Event(s) (that includes times and dates)
In order to receive the packet that includes Course Proposal, Objectives and Outcomes, and other forms, please contact:
Western Kentucky University
120 Knicely Conference Center
2355 Nashville Road
Bowling Green KY 42101
Fax: (270) 745-8974
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,