- TopSCHOLAR - WKU Archives
- WKU Hilltopper Heritage
- WKU Records Management
- Donate to WKU Archives
- Volunteer in WKU Archives
- Request Information
- Share a Hilltopper Tradition
- Manuscripts & Folklife Archives
- Kentucky Museum
- Staff Directory
- Need a Speaker?
Bibliography - noun, a list often with descriptive or critical notes of writings relating to a particular subject, period, or author [Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary]
These and other sources are available in the Harrison-Baird Reading Room in the Kentucky Building.
Northeast and Southwest Halls were originally constructed as four residential halls between 1955 and 1960 with funding obtained from the Federal Housing & Home Finance Agency. The four buildings were named East, North, South and West. In 2002 renovations and additions were made in order to create more living space and connect North Hall with East Hall and South Hall with West Hall, creating the newly formed L shaped halls. The renovations created classroom space and new entrances. The original entrances were converted into community spaces which include laundry rooms, kitchens and public restrooms. Individual rooms were made over into suites, each with it's own private bath and moveable furniture. The halls were dedicated on September 24, 2002.
East Hall - A four story dormitory housing 222 men in 109 rooms was built between 1955 to 1957 at a cost of $675,000. East Hall was the "twin" of South Hall with East being the larger of the two. The building was considered among the most modern in the south at the time. In 1964 women took over East Hall. Northeast Hall was created out of the original North and East Halls in 2002.
North Hall - A dormitory housing 200 men when completed in 1957 at a cost of $675,000. North Hall was similar but not identical to East and South Halls. It had three floors on the north end and four on the south.
South Hall - A four story residence hall housing 208 men was completed in 1960. It also contained two faculty apartments.
West Hall - A 92 room, four story residence hall was completed in 1961 with rooms for 208 men. Also had a modern grill and two faculty apartments..
1969 - East Hall renovation after fire
2002 - renovation and addition to create two halls from the orignal four, $14.5 million
College Heights Herald
1957 - January 18, p. 1
"New Men's Dormitory," photograph Oct. 7, 1960, p. 1
"Plans for New Men's Dormitory Get Underway," Feb. 19, 1960, p. 1
"West Hall to be Dedicated," photograph, Oct. 11, 1961, p. 6
"West Hall," photograph, Sept. 27, 1961, p. 1
1965 - February 10, p. 1
1968 - December 5, p. 6
1969 - April 3 p. 2
"Women to Occupy West Hall Next Fall," March 27, 1970, p. 3
1972 - March 31 p. 11
1977 - September 29 p. 13
1983 - April 21, p. 16
1985 - April 2 p. 8B; August 27, p. 19B
1986 - December 11, pp. 1-5
1987 - December 3, p. 3
1990 - October 4, p. 18A
1991 - March 14, p. 7
1992 - February 20, p. 1; Feburary 27, p. 9; September 15, p. 1; October 29, p. 1; November 10, p. 1
2002 - Sept. 25
2003 - Jan. 3
Park City Daily News
1955 - February 15
1957 - March 31 1968 November 26; November 29
1985 - July 17
2002 - June 8
2002 - January 5
"Concrete and Steel Framework," photograph, Nov. 20, 1960
"Construction of Western Dorm Begins," August 14, 1959
"Okay Federal Loan of $675,000 for New Western Dorm," June 16, 1960
Rivers, Margo. "Dorms to be Ready Fall 2002," Jan. 5, 2002
Sisco, Scott. "A New Kind of Dorm," June 8, 2002
"WKU Dedicates Renovated Dorms," Sept. 25, 2002
"Western Regents Okay Plans for 2 New Dorms," May 19, 1960
"Western Seeks $625,000 for Men's Dorm," Oct. 16, 1958
Bolser, Harry. "Kentucky's Growing Colleges," August 2, 1960
Duncan, Tom. "Dig, Dig, Dig," photograph, Sep. 19, 1960
"Open Door," photograph, Aug. 27, 1961
UA2 Board of Regents Meeting Minutes - collection inventory
1955 - Meeting Minutes - digitized
1956 - Meeting Minutes - digitized
1957 - Meeting Minutes - digitized
1958 - Meeting Minutes - digitized
1959 - Meeting Minutes - digitized
1960 - Meeting Minutes - digitized
UA3/3/4 Kelly Thompson Construction File - collection inventory
UA11/3 University Relations - Building & Construction File
UA30/1/2 Planning, Design & Construction - Building File - collection inventory
West Hall, new $700,000 dormitory on the Western Kentucky State College Campus, was opened for the first time at the beginning of the 1961-62 school year on September 10, 1961.
This new facility provides housing for 208 women. Originally intended as a dormitory for men, West Hall was given over to women for the 1961-62 year on a temporary basis until the new six-story dormitory on the Kentucky Building grounds is ready next year.
In addition to the dormitory facilities, the new building located on 16th Street has a completely equipped grill and snack bar on the ground floor.
West Hall is the fifth dormitory constructed in the immediate area in the past four years. Four dormitories in this complex will be used by men. Three of the dormitories - South Hall, North Hall, and East Hall - are now occupied by men. Regents Hall is occupied by women.
Mr. Walter Scott Roberts, of Owensboro, designed the building which was built by the Leo C. Miller Construction Company, Inc., Louisville.
The building is aof brick and concrete construction and is fireproof. Construction was started in the summer of 1960.
Other Names & Dates Built
East Hall, 1957
North Hall, 1955
South Hall - Dorm #3, 1960
West Hall, 1960
Date Built - 1955-1960
Cost of Construction
approximately $675,000 each, originally
approximately $14.5 million each to combine
Gross Square Feet
East - 45,650
North - 37,356
South - 40,746
West - 50,958
East - 41' x 281'
North - 41' x 281'
South - 41' x 281'
West - 41' x 281'
Architects - Roberts & Johnson, Owensboro