- Scholarships & Grants
- Student Organizations
- Student Media
- Ky. High School Media Institute
- Library Resources
- Student Internships/Jobs/Fellowships
- Position Openings
- Lab/Equipment Checkout Hours
- Summer Workshops
- Fleischaker-Greene Scholars in First Amendment Studies
- John B. Gaines Family Lecture Series
- Student Projects
Robert R. Adams, M.A.
Associate Professor, Transitional Retiree
Office: Adams-Whitaker Student Publications Center
Phone: (270) 745-6278
Introduction to News Writing and Reporting
Western Kentucky University, Bowling Green, Ky., July 1966-present
- Director of Student Publications (acting director from July 1987 to July 1990) charged with overall supervision of College Heights Herald, twice weekly student newspaper, and Talisman yearbook. Herald adviser since 1968; Talisman adviser from 1990-1996, 2002-present.
- Associate Professor of Journalism in the School of Journalism and Broadcasting, tenured.
- Herald won General Excellence award in Kentucky Press Association Fall Newspaper Contest, Associates Division, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003; runner-up in 1998
- Herald won General Excellence award in Kentucky Press Association Better Newspaper Contest, Associates Division, 1997, 1999, 2002; runner-up in 1998, 2000, 2001
- Herald won National Pacemaker Award from ACP and Newspaper Association of America, 1981, 1982, 1984, 1988, 1992, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003. The Herald was inducted into the ACP Hall of Fame in 1989. The Herald placed fourth in the 2003 ACP Best of Show competition.
- Herald won Gold Crown from Columbia Scholastic Press Association, 1999, 2000, 2001 (2), 2003. The Herald is a Crown Finalist in 2004
- Talisman Xposure won 1995-96 Pacemaker Award from Associated Collegiate Press and 1995 Gold Crown from Columbia Scholastic Press Association.
- Talisman is a Crown Finalist in 2004; placed second in ACP's fall 2003 Best of Show competition.
- Publisher, Cumberland Times, Crossville, Tenn., 1988-89.
- Publisher and General Manager, North Warren Observer, Smiths Grove, Ky., 1985-86.
- Co-Publisher, Citizen-Statesman, Celina, Tenn., 1983-87.
- Co-Publisher, Herald-News, Edmonton, Ky., 1982-87.
- Co-Publisher, Cumberland County News, Burkesville, Ky., 1980-87.
- Reporter and acting sports editor, Daily News, Bowling Green, Ky., full time and part time, 1965-69. Covered Planning and Zoning Commission, Chamber of Commerce and variety of other news beats and general assignment, also served as one-person sports staff covering all local and area high schools and Western Kentucky University.
- 24 quarter hours in journalism beyond masters, Ball State University, Muncie, Ind. 1970 BALL STATE UNIVERSITY Muncie, Ind.
- Master's in English/Education, Western Kentucky University, 1965
- Bachelor's with area of concentration in English, Western Kentucky University, 1964.
- Poynter Teaching Fellowship, Seminar for College Newspaper Advisers, Poynter Institute for Media Studies, 1990
- Kentucky Press Association
Served as secretary, vice chairman, chairman and now past chairman of Associates Division. Past member of the KPA Board of Directors; member of Associates Board of Directors
- West Kentucky Press Association, speaker on several occasions
- College Media Advisers, Inc. Received Distinguished Newspaper Award from National Council of College Publications Advisers (now CMA) as the outstanding four-year university newspaper adviser, 1978. Coordinator, Best of Collegiate Design 11 competition and production of book; will also serve in same capacity for Best of Collegiate Design 12
- 2003-present Member of CMA Professional Advisory Council Served as associate chair and co-chair of the CMA Newspaper Committee Past chair of the CMA Awards Committee Regular speaker at annual ACP/CMA Fall Media Convention and spring National College Media Convention
- Kentucky Intercollegiate Press Association Served three terms as executive secretary
- Society of Professional Journalists Recognized as 25-year member Served as co-editor of The Working Press at the 1990 national convention WKU High School Publications Workshop Director, 1978-2001
- Dow Jones Minority Journalism Workshop Associate director, since 1988. Director in 1984, 1985, 1987.
- Journalism Department/School of Journalism & Broadcasting Scholarship Committee Chair, since 1977.
- High School Press Day/Scholars Day Coordinator of Press Day from 1978-88; co-chair, 1989-2001
- William Randolph Hearst Writing Competition Selection Committee Chair since 1978
- Bluegrass Music News Consultant for the Bluegrass Music News, monthly magazine published by the Kentucky Music Educators Association monthly, 1997.
- Saint Thomas Hospital, Nashville, Tenn.Consultant for the Publications Department in 1990-91.
- Newspaper Contest Judge Judged contests for Society of Professional Journalists Inland Northwest Excellence in Journalism and regional Mark of Excellence, American Publishing Co., Florida Press Club, Kentucky Weekly Newspaper Association, Mississippi Sports Writers Association, South Carolina Press Association Collegiate Division, Southern Illinois Smaller Newspaper, U.S. Penal Press. Mark of Excellence, Indiana Collegiate Press Association
- Special Projects Produced publications for Kentucky Girls Sweet Sixteen, Kentucky High School Music Educators, Kentucky High School Marching Band Championships, Bowling Green International Festival, Kentucky Logging Show.Spoke at Madisonville Messenger's Teen Board kickoff meeting, War Memorial Boys Club and Bowling Green High School and helped coordinate recruiting programs in Lexington, Louisville, Paducah, Elizabethtown, Nashville and Owensboro.