- Scholarships & Grants
- Student Organizations
- Student Media
- Ky. High School Media Institute
- Library Resources
- Student Internships/Jobs/Fellowships
- Position Openings
- Lab/Equipment Checkout Hours
- Summer Workshops
- Fleischaker-Greene Scholars in First Amendment Studies
- John B. Gaines Family Lecture Series
- Student Projects
Jeanie Adams-Smith, M.A.
Office: MMTH 125
Phone: (270) 745-6301
- August 2008 - Present Associate Professor of photojournalism Western Kentucky University
- Janauary 2002-2008 - Assistant Professor of photojournalism Western Kentucky University
- May 1992 - January 2002- Worked as a photo editor for the Chicago Tribune
- September -December 2000- Photographer for City 2000
- September 1999- September 2000 - Attended Ohio University as the John S. and James L. Knight Fellow, where she taught in the Visual Communications department and worked on a master's degree in the photojournalism sequence.
- 1992-1999- Worked as a photo editor for the Chicago Tribune; where she was the National/Foreign Picture Editor- responsibilities included researching and assigning photographs for our bureaus and working on many of the Tribune's special projects, including Killing Our Children, a year-long documentary on the children murdered in Chicago in 1993, which won the Robert F. Kennedy Award for Outstanding Journalism.
- September 1999-September 2000- Completed a master's degree at Ohio University in Visual Communications
- 1990-1991- Completed a master's degree in Communications from Western Kentucky University
- 1985-1990- Completed a bachelor's degree in Photojournalism with a minor in English from W.K.U.
Professional Activities and Awards
- 2004- Cox Newspapers Photographer of the Year contest judge
- 2003- Photographer for the America 24/7 Project
- 2003- Photographer of the Year International, 3rd Place Feature Picture Story
- 2003- Received a grant from the Kentucky Foundation for Women
- 2003- Received a Junior Faculty Grant, Western Kentucky University
- 2003- Was a guest speaker for the National Brain Injury Assoc. Annual Meeting
- 2003- Michigan Photographer of the Year contest judge
- 2002- Kentucky News Photographer of the Year, 2nd Place
- 2002- Attended the Maine Photographic Workshop on Storytelling with Eugene Richards
- 2002- Was the Story Researcher and a Photo Editing coach for the Mountain Workshop in Cave City, KY.
- 2001- Received a first place in The University Missouri Photographer of the Year competition for Best Use Photos Multimedia
- 2001 - Illinois Press Photographer of the Year, 3rd Place
- 2001- Recipient of the Chicago Arts Grant
- 2001- Received a second place and an Award of Excellence in Issue Reporting Category the NPPA/University Missouri Photographer of the Year competition
- 2000 ' Was a photographer for the City 2000 project in Chicago that spent a year documenting the city in the millennium.
- 2000- Received the Kit C. King Graduate Scholarship
- 2000- Received an Award of Excellence in Issue Reporting in the NPPA/University Missouri Photographer of the Year competition
- 1999- Finalist in the Gordon Parks Photography Competition
- 1998- Part of the editing team at the Chicago Tribune that received Best Use of Photography, 3rd place in the NPPA/University Missouri Photographer of the Year competition
- 1997- Received three Awards of Excellence for design from the Society of Newspaper and Design for a week-long series in the Chicago Tribune on over-population
- 1997- Was a student at the W.K.U. Mountain People's Workshop on photojournalism in Russelville, Ky as a photographer documenting the small-town community
- 1995- Attended the Poynter Institute for Media Studies for a week-long seminar on ethics in journalism.
- 1995 - Was the conference chairperson for Insights, NPPA's Women in Photojournalism Conference.
- 1995' Published a book on minor league baseball, Portraits of Minor League Baseball The Kane County Cougars
- 1994- Attended the Stan Kalish Picture Editing Workshop
- 1993- Was the picture editor for the Chicago Tribune's Killing Our Children project, which received the Robert F. Kennedy Award for Journalism
- 1991- Recipient of the Eastman Kodak Student Scholarship
- 1991- Was the W.K.U. Senior Photojournalism Student of the Year
- 1990- Recipient of the Bob East Scholarship
- 1989- Was a William Randolph Hearst semi-finalist
- 1988- Was a runner-up in College Photographer of the Year
- 1987- Present- Member of NPPA and KNPA
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,