- Scholarships & Grants
- Student Organizations
- Student Media
- Ky. High School Media Institute
- Library Resources
- Student Internships/Jobs/Fellowships
- Position Openings
- Lab/Equipment Checkout Hours
- Summer Workshops
- Fleischaker-Greene Scholars in First Amendment Studies
- John B. Gaines Family Lecture Series
- Student Projects
Students receive awards in journalism, broadcasting competitions
|Author: Tommy Newton|
Date: Sunday, May 6th, 2012
Several WKU student journalists and broadcasters received awards in the Society of Professional Journalists’ Region 5 Mark of Excellence Awards competition and the 2012 Kentucky Associated Press Broadcasters awards.
The following SPJ Region 5 (Kentucky, Indiana and Illinois) awards were presented at the spring conference April 13-14 in Indianapolis:
- Photo Illustration-4 Year College/University: Jerry Englehart Jr. of Ormand Beach, Fla., College Heights Herald, first place.
- Feature Writing-4 Year College/University: Emily Patton of Nebo, College Heights Herald, first place.
- General News Reporting-4 Year College/University: Jonathan Lintner of Louisville, College Heights Herald, first place.
- Sports Writing-4 Year College/University: Cole Claybourn of Evansville, Ind., College Heights Herald, second place.
- Radio News Reporting: Joseph Mathis of Danville, WWHR, second place.
- Best All-Around Television Newscast: WKU NewsChannel 12, third place.
- Television Feature Reporting: Tommy Parker of Glen Ellyn, Ill., NewsChannel 12, first place.
- Television In-Depth Reporting: Jacqui Powell of Elizabethtown, NewsChannel 12, second place.
- Television General News Reporting: Tommy Parker of Glen Ellyn, Ill., NewsChannel 12, first place.
- Television Breaking News Reporting: Jeremy Brown of Chandler, Ind., NewsChannel 12, second place.
- Television Sports Photography: Andrew Bennett of Franklin, Tenn., Extra Point, first place.
- Television Sports Photography: Zack Ryle of Burlington, Extra Point, first place; Alix Casper-Peak of Louisville, Extra Point, second place.
The following Kentucky Associated Press Broadcasters awards were presented April 14 in Louisville:
- Best College TV Hard News Feature: Jacqui Powell of Elizabethtown, first place and honorable mention; Trent Brock of Fort Campbell, honorable mention.
- Best College TV Soft News Feature: Tommy Parker of Glen Ellyn, Ill., first place and honorable mention; Zack Ryle of Burlington, honorable mention.
- Best College TV Sports Feature: Jeremy Brown of Chandler, Ind., first place; Alix Casper-Peak of Louisville, honorable mention.
Contact: School of Journalism & Broadcasting, (270) 745-4144.
Dr. Victoria LaPoe, an assistant professor in the School of Journalism & Broadcasting, co-authors "Oil and Water: Media Lessons from Hurricane Katrina and the Deepwater Horizon Disaster."
Fleischaker/Greene Fund for Excellence will provide visit from award-winning filmmaker. Sanjeev Chatterjee's environmental documentary about potable water, "One Water," will be shown at 7 p.m. CDT in Gary A. Ransdell Hall auditorium.
No Featured Articles for this category