Tips for Reducing Lab Printing
Guideline for lab printer usage: Academic course-related printing only.
- Ask your professors if papers can be submitted electronically.
- Use the “print preview” option.
- Save your documents on the network, a jump drive, or save it in your e-mail as an attachment.
- Print out Powerpoints as “handouts” (6 slides per page) or print the “outline view” only.
- Remove the backgrounds on Powerpoints by printing in “grayscale”.
- Print only the pages you need, by printing specific page ranges.
- Only use the color printer for pages that require color.
- Print a single proof before printing multiple copies.
- When printing internet pages, copy & paste several items onto one page in Word.
- If you submit the document to print and then decide you don't wish to print, don't release the print job and it will disappear from the queue within two hours.
- Reduce the text size of your document and/or the margins of the pages.
- Look for the “printer friendly” option when printing from the web.
- Look for "Page Scaling" option under "Page Handling" in the print properties. Choose the "Multiple Pages Per Sheet" option to print more than 2 pages on the same page.
- Make sure you log out when you are done.