Western Kentucky University

International Student Office - Curricular Practical Training

What We Do


Information For

FALL 2014 Information

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 Upcoming Events

Events Calendar

Trip to Mammoth Cave National Park, September 20, 2014.

Faraway Flix - Que Tan Lejos (Equador) September 26, 2014.

The Bowling Green International Festival September 27, 2014.  


WKU Safe Communities America Report

What is CPT?

In limited circumstances, under current DHS regulations, students who have been in-status for at least nine months or two academic semesters and are in good academic standing may be able to apply for off-campus work authorization. However, you must contact ISO regarding ANY off-campus employment to see if you are eligible and to file necessary papers before beginning to work.

Students who have alternate work/study internships or cooperative education as a required part of their curriculum can apply for CPT authorization.

Risks of CPT employment include:

  1. Losing your option for OPT after graduation if you have 12 months or more of full-time CPT
  2. Having your OPT application denied if you cannot prove to USCIS that the CPT was an integral and required part of your program necessary to graduate.

For CPT opportunities, you should contact your advisor at the International Student Office for an information packet or attend a CPT workshop. If you believe you are eligible to apply for CPT, you must complete an e-form request through iStart.

There are several steps involved in this process. As you must obtain authorization before you can start any CPT, you should start this process several weeks in advance. 

CPT authorization is granted on a semester-by-semester basis only. If you wish to continue your employment beyond the semester for which you've been authorized, you must follow the entire application process again, including the appropriate course registration for the option that you choose. It's best to do this as soon as you register for the next semester so that our office will have the time to process your application.

 Last Modified 7/1/14