The Fifth Annual "Lighten Your Load" was a huge success!
The collection results from Lighten Your Load 2011 were 4,374 items of clothing, household goods, and electronics. Then 912 lbs of non-perishable food was collected. This year 4,634 items of clothing, household good, and electronics were collected. This is an increase of 260 items. Then the biggest increase was in the non-perishable food collection. We collected 1,793 lbs. of non-perishable food this year. This is an increase of 881 lbs. This is an enormous increase in food collection and will help many more individuals in need.
There are several individuals and groups that HRL would like to thank for the contributions to the program this year:
- Jalon Kemp and Kyle Duckworth, student staff for Housing and Residence Life, who collected all the items from the residence halls for an entire week.
- The women of Gamma Sigma Sigma service sorority for volunteering their time to sort and count items.
- Brad Kerschner, Residence Hall Director for Housing and Residence Life, for assisting in the coordination of the sorting process and bringing volunteers.
- All of the Professional Staff of Housing and Residence Life that took time out of their busy schedule to assist with sorting and counting of the donations.
- Sara Ferguson, WKU Recycling, for donating 8 gaylord boxes used to collect items.
All Lighten Your Load items are donated to The Bowling Green Housing Authority. The donated items are given to individuals in the Bowling Green community who are in need. The items are given to the individuals at no cost to them.
Lighten Your Load 2012 Detailed Results
Men's T-Shirts: 340
Women's T-shirts: 523
Men's Tops (Polo's, Dress Shirts, Sweaters): 372
Women's Tops (Blouses, Sweaters, etc.): 908
Men's Dress Pants: 32
Women's Dress Bottoms: 111
Men's Jeans/Shorts: 318
Women's Jeans/Shorts: 522
Shoes (Men's and Women's): 108 pairs
Accessories (Belts, Purses, Jewelry, Book Bags, Scarves, Hats, etc.): 186
Clothing Total: 3,682
Electronics Total: 33
Includes school supplies, lamps, chairs, pots, pans, laundry items, storage units, decorative items, plates, cups, mugs, blankets, towels, bulletin boards, etc.
Household Goods Total: 919