The Sixth Annual "Lighten Your Load" was a huge success!
At the end of every spring semester, Housing and Residence Life provides students with the opportunity to donate unwanted clothing, food, and household items before they move out of the residence hall for the summer. WKU Recycling provides a gaylord box for every residence hall lobby to collect the items. Housing and Residence Life staff and other campus volunteers collect, sort, count and deliver the items to the Bowling Green Housing Authority.
The collection results from Lighten Your Load 2013 are:
- 5,778 items of clothing, household goods, and electronics
- 1,042 lbs of non-perishable food
There are several individuals and groups that HRL would like to thank for the contributions to the program this year:
- Jalon Kemp and Kyle Duckworth, student staff for Housing and Residence Life, who collected all the items from the residence halls for an entire week.
- The women of Gamma Sigma Sigma service sorority for volunteering their time to sort and count items.
- All of the professional staff of Housing and Residence Life who assisted with sorting and counting of the donations.
- WKU Recycling for donating gaylord boxes used to collect items.
All Lighten Your Load items are donated to The Bowling Green Housing Authority. The donated items are given to individuals in the Bowling Green community who are in need and are given to the individuals at no cost.
Lighten Your Load 2013 Detailed Results
Men's Tops (Polo's, Dress Shirts, etc.): 183
Women's Tops (Blouses, Polo's, etc.): 537
Men's Dress Pants: 73
Women's Dress Bottoms: 63
Men's Jeans: 159
Women's Jeans: 219
Men's Shorts: 152
Women's Shorts: 176
Shoes: 224 pairs
Accessories (Belts, Jewelry, Scarves, Hats, etc.): 262
Purses and Bags: 88
Intimate Apparel: 92
Clothing Total: 4,616
Electronics Total: 44
Includes school supplies, lamps, chairs, pots, pans, laundry items, storage units, decorative items, plates, cups, mugs, blankets, towels, bulletin boards, etc.
Household Goods Total: 1,118