The Honors College Application for Admission has three main components. Each are listed below with specific information and tips to complete the application.
Validation of Academic Information
This application displays a portion of the academic information that you completed for the general application to WKU. The Honors College Admission Committee will review additional academic information (such as ACT/SAT sub-scores, class rank, AP, IB, dual credit or college coursework) accessed through your general application to WKU and transcripts previously submitted to the Office of Admission.
- Validate the information displayed by clicking Save and Continue.
- If any information displayed is incorrect, contact the WKU Office of Admission at 270-745-2551 BEFORE submitting the application.
Five Part Activities Summary
The Honors College seeks applicants with a variety of interests and experiences, evaluating applicants in five areas: Extracurricular Activities, Volunteer Services, Honors and Awards, International Experiences, and Work Experience.
- Summarize your activities, experiences, and awards. Maximum of 10 responses per component.
- Limit your responses to activities and awards completed within the past four years. If you were involved in more than 10 activities, list only those you feel are the most relevant and significant experiences.
- If you choose not to list any activities, simply return to the main menu. These five components are not required. You may complete as many or as few as you choose.
- Each completed component requires a start and end date. If you do not know the day, list the first or last day of the month.
Discuss the following essay topics succinctly but with enough detail for the selection committee to fully evaluate your writing ability (250 - 500 words; 4,000 characters max, including spaces and punctuation for each essay). It is recommended that you write and edit your essays in a word processor and paste them into the appropriate text boxes due to the inactivity timeout.
- All applicants should answer the below personal essay prompt: The Honors College seeks students with a diversity of interests and perspectives, possessing the capacity and motivation to excel. What unique experiences, characteristics, or skill sets would you contribute to our Honors College community?
- All applicants should choose one of the three essay options below, in addition to answering the personal essay topic above:
1. Michael Jordan, one of the most successful and famous athletes in the United States, was cut from his high school basketball team before creating a name for himself as the “greatest basketball player of all time,” according to the National Basketball Association. What would you do if you weren’t afraid of failure?
2. If you could have grown up during any decade, which would you choose and why?
3. In his 2005 commencement address to Stanford University graduates, Steve Jobs discussed the “Whole Earth Catalog,” a publication that was popular during his youth. He compared it to “Google in paperback form, 35 years before Google came along.” When describing the Catalog’s final issue, he recalled their farewell message from the back cover: “Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish… I have always wished that for myself. And now, as you graduate to begin anew, I wish that for you. Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.” How does this resonate with you?
- Inactivity Timeout. The online application will timeout after 10 minutes of inactivity.
Take time to review the application components on our website before starting the
- Saving Your Work. While working on the application, you may save your work and return
to the application later by clicking the Save and Continue button in any of the seven
components and logging-out. When you log-in, select the application that is In Progress
to continue your work.
- Submitting the Application. Do not click Submit until you are ready to submit the application. Once you have clicked Submit, your application may not be changed online. Any necessary changes to your application must be made in writing to the Honors College at email@example.com, or Honors College at WKU, Attn: Honors Admissions, 1906 College Heights Blvd., Bowling Green, KY, 42101.