Hiring Medical Technologist
|Author: Terri F.|
Date: Tuesday, October 25th, 2011
|Return to Archive|
Western Kentucky University, Health Services, is currently seeking applicants for a Medical Technologist. This person will assist in daily operation of the WKU Health Services lab and dispensary. This person will be expected to run and maintain the lab and dispensary in the absence of the lab manager.
Primary Duties and Responsibilites:
The following duties are customary for this position, but are not to be construed as all-inclusive. Duties may be added, deleted and assigned based on management discretion and institutional needs.
- Performs all in-house lab tests, both waived and moderate complexity
- Assists in preparing the laboratory and the dispensary for AAAHC accreditation
- Collects urine drug screens for both regulated and non-regulated employers
- Performs breath alcohol testing
- Performs phlebotomies
- Prepares specimens for shipment to outside reference lab
- Communicates with reference lab, as needed
- Assists with monthly and annual reports and projects
- Fills dispensary prescriptions and help with dispensary management
- Assists with quality assurance programs in both laboratory and dispensary
- Assists with inventory management in laboratory and dispensary
- Assists with proficiency testing
- Baccalaureate degree and successful completion of an accredited Medical Technology program
- Certification by American Society of Clinical Pathologists or similar organization
- Familiarity with and adherence to OSHA, CLIA, DOT and other regulatory requirements, universal precautions and special precautions when working with pathogens
- At least one year experience in a clinical laboratory to include performing microscopic examinations of urine, body fluids, skin scrappings, and manual blood cell differentials.
- Phlebotomy skills
- Proficiency in Microscopic examinations
- Basic skills in PowerPoint, Excel and Word
- Ability to correctly interpret microscopic findings on blood, urine, and other body fluids
- Available to work extended hours as needed by the practice schedule
- Ability to communicate well with co-workers and patients
- Requires continuous follow up, communication and attention to detail
- Must be self directed, motivated and a critical thinker
- Ability to multitask and stay focused is essential
- May require long periods of sitting, standing, computer use or long periods on your feet if working in the clinical area
- May require providing patient assistance and therefore employee must be able to lift and support patient weight as needed
- May require frequent and repeated lifting of packages
- Physical mobility required to reach, bend, stoop, and the ability to lift supplies weighing approximately 10 - 25 lbs
- Physically able to support or assist in moving a patient weighing 150 – 250 lbs or more
- Must have mental and physical stamina and flexibility to meet the demands of a busy group practice
Salary Grade: 108
Applications for employment will be accepted electronically only. In addition to the online application interested candidates must submit a cover letter, a current resume along with names, addresses, and daytime phone numbers of three professional references using the online application process. Please refer to the following website to apply: http://asaweb.wku.edu/sjobs. For further assistance call (270) 745-5934. Reference requisition number S3072. To ensure full consideration submit application materials by November 3rd, 2011. Position will remain open until filled.
Western Kentucky University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, religion, or marital status in admission to career and technical education programs and/or activities, or employment practices in accordance with Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Revised 1992, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
Persons with disabilities, who need reasonable accommodations to participate in the application and/or selection process, should notify The Office of Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/University ADA Services at (270) 745- 5121, a minimum of five working days in advance.
Kathy Trulock achieves certification in Healthcare Privacy and Security.
No Featured Articles for this category