Are you unsure about your health insurance coverage? If so, we may be able to help answer your questions.
- What do I need to know about my insurance policy?
- Know your co-pay and your deductible amounts. Be familiar with your own benefit levels as well as any policy exclusions.
- What must the patient have on hand upon each visit to WKU Health Services?
- Form of identification (Big Red ID or Driver's License), Current Insurance Card, Method of Payment.
- What will the patient be responsible for at time of service?
- Co-pay and/or medication(s); or at least 20% of charges if not filing insurance.
- What if I cannot pay 20% at the time of service?
- The billing and insurance coordinator can work with you to make payment arrangements.
- Do you accept Medicaid or Medicare?
- Currently, we do not participate with any state Medicaid and Medicare programs.
- What if I do not have insurance?
- We will see any WKU student, faculty, or staff member without insurance. Full-time students may receive a discount when paying in full on date of service. Please ask to speak to our financial counselor for more information.
- Do you accept HMO patients?
- We are currently not in network with any HMO plans. Call your insurance and give them our tax ID#616055628 to see if you have "out of network" benefits. If not, ask them how to set up "guest privileges." You will be responsible for any remaining balance.
- I have Tricare Prime, what do I need to do first?
- Call Tricare at 877.874.2273. Give our tax ID# 616055628 to find out what you need to do. Patients must know their primary care manager's name and telephone number. A referral from your Primary Care Manager must be provided prior to the patient being seen at WKU Health Services.
- What if my insurance is not listed on your website or brochure?
- Call your insurance company and give them our tax ID# 616055628. If your insurance is not in-network we will file your claim and you will be responsible for any remaining balance.
- What if I live outside of Kentucky, and you participate with my insurance?
- Call your insurance; give our tax ID# 616055628 to see if you have "out of state" benefits. If not, ask them about "guest privileges" while you are a student away from home.
- Will insurance cover non-routine physicals associated with sports, education, or travel requirements?
- Usually not. Non-routine physicals are often benefit exclusions. Therefore we do not bill for these types of physicals. We do offer sports, education and travel abroad physicals at a discounted price for all full-time students.
- What if I do not have insurance, or you do not accept my insurance?
- We will treat all WKU students, regardless of ability to pay on the date of service. Discounts are sometimes offered to students with no insurance that are able to pay on date of service. Please stop in to speak with someone for more information.
- What if I have insurance, but do not want to file it?
- You are not required to file insurance, however you will be responsible for payment.
If you have questions about subjects other than insurance, please see our General FAQ's.
Please contact Linda Heady, Insurance & Billing Coordinator at 270-745-5034 or email WKU Health Services Billing for all other insurance and billing inquires.