WKU Health Services : TopperWell FAQ
- Do I need to be in a specific major to be in TopperWell?
- No, all majors are accepted and can benefit from being in this program. Both undergraduate
and graduate students are welcome.
- What are the requirements to be in TopperWell?
- It is important to be enrolled as a student at WKU, have a 2.5 minimum cumulative
GPA, have no significant Code of Conduct violations, be able to commit for a minimum
of 1 year (Fall/Spring or Spring/Fall), and have an interest in health.
- Who should apply?
- Students who wish to make a positive impact on the well-being of the WKU community.
Applicants should have the ability to work as a team, be open-minded, nonjudgmental,
a role model to others, enthusiastic, and have time management skills. Experience
in public speaking and program planning are helpful, but not necessary. Anyone creative
and interested in promoting health and wellness are encouraged to apply. If you have
any questions, please contact Lauren Tuttle, Advisor at Lauren.email@example.com or (270) 745-5653.
- What are the benefits to being in TopperWell?
- Your experience in TopperWell could be one of the highlights of your college career.
The skills and knowledge you gain will prove useful in your future career and life.
- Acquire professional work experience, build your resume, and make connections with
- Develop communication, leadership and organizational skills
- Increase public speaking and tap into creative promotion skills
- Learn up-to-date information and resources in areas of health and wellness (i.e. Stress
Management, Nutrition, STI's, Alcohol, Tobacco, etc.)
- Meet new people and make new friends
- Receive a t-shirt, incentives, and a chance to earn WellU scholarships and prizes
- Be a mentor to other students on campus
- Have fun!
- What will I have to do as a member?
- Members are required to attend the weekly meetings and the 2-day training retreat.
You will also be able to conduct presentations, help with outreach, volunteer with
campus events, assist with programs, and learn how to communicate with your peers.
A $25 annual membership fee is a prerequisite.
- What is involved in the Fall 2-day Training Retreat?
- Fall training is an opportunity for members to learn more about what TopperWell does,
get to know each other, and gain knowledge on different health topics. Sometimes
guest come in to lead activities during the training. The training this year will
be October 11th from 3pm-9pm and October 12th from 9am-6pm.
- What are some of the TopperWell's programs?
- TopperWell plans programs according to the recommendations by the BACCHUS Network.
Some of the programs that TopperWell predominately takes part in include Passport
to Wellness, Fireside Chat, Stall Street Journal, Free HIV Testing, and WellU. Other
events include Health Days (Student Heath Fair), Valleypalooza, and various outreach
- What is BACCHUS Network?
- The BACCHUS Network is the organization that promotes student and young adult based,
campus and community-wide leadership on health and safety issues.
- What is TopperWell Spotlight?
- This is a section in the Stall Street Journal to highlight member achievements and
- How does the application process work?
- 1. Apply Online or request a paper copy from the Health Education Department in Health Services.
2. Complete the application.
3. Click "Submit" for the online application or give the paper copy to the Advisor,
Lauren Tuttle, rm 107 in Health Services, or email to Lauren.firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. WKU Health Services Health Education Office will contact qualified applicants to
schedule personal interviews.
5. Candidates will be selected and notified following all interviews.
- When is the application due?
- We accept applications all year round. However, applications are typically reviewed
during September, and January for the upcoming semester.
- Why is there a membership fee?
- The annual membership fee is $25 for new members, and $15 for continuing members.
The fee is essential to offset the cost of attire, food, travel, and more.
- When and where are the meetings?
- Meetings will be held in the Health Services Training room on Thursdays at 4:30pm.
More specific dates will be announced once you become a member of TopperWell.
- How do I learn more?
For more information, attend our "Interest Meeting" where you can meet other TopperWell
members, learn more of what TopperWell does, the opportunities you could gain, ask
any questions you may have, etc. The meeting will take place on September 12th at
4:30pm in Health Services Training Room.
Be sure to check out our TopperWell Facebook Page!
If you have additional questions that were not answered above, please feel free to
contact our Advisor, Lauren Tuttle at
(270) 745-5653 or email her at Lauren.Tuttle@wku.edu.