Campus opportunities while visiting WKU's Hardin Planetarium
Groups of more than 40 who are visiting the Planetarium should plan to split their group into small sub-groups. These sub-groups may visit other venues on campus while awaiting their show at the Planetarium. Here are just some of the possibilities:
- The Confucius Institute: a wonderful look into Chinese culture with interactive programs for students of all ages. These programs are free. A five to seven minute walk from the Planetarium. Contact Betty Yu, director, at 270-745-2836.
- The Kentucky Museum (A ten to twelve minute walk from the Planetarium. There is a charge for these programs):
- offers special art programs for students and a chance to tour the Kentucky Museum. Contact Christy Spurlock at 270-745-6082
- offers a career-readiness tour of WKU including visiting the Kentucky Museum
- Architectural and Manufacturing Services offers tours of the robotics lab to groups of 25 people or less. Good for 4th grades and above. A two minute walk from the Planetarium.Contact Greg Arbuckle, Acting Department Chair at 270-745-6592
- SkyTeach, a WKU science and math teachers program, offers programs for school groups in selected aspects of science and astronomy. A two minute walk from the Planetarium. Contact Karen Long at 270-745-3900.
- The Department of Theatre and Dance has childrens' performances during certain times of the year. There is a charge for these services. Contact Doris Patrick, 270-745-5845.
The Planetarium does not provide meal opportunities. However, you can contact WKU Restaurant & Catering Group to inquire about special accommodations for your group on campus. You can visit their website here: http://www.campusdish.com/en-us/CSMA/WesternKentucky or call 270-745-2146.
There are also many nearby venues in and around Bowling Green for out-of-towners to combine with their visit the the Planetarium. Check with the BG Visitors Center for an up-to-date listing and contact information, at 800-326-7465 or VisitBGKY.com. Here are some options:
- Lost River Cave
- The Historic Rail Park Museum
- The Corvette Museum
- The South Union Shaker Village
- The Riverview House, a Victorian museum
- Jackson's Orchard
- Aviation Heritage Park
- SkyPAC (Southern Kentucky Performing Arts Center)
- The Public Theatre
- Orchestra Kentucky or the Symphony
- Bowling Green Skatepark
- BG Hot Rods minor league baseball
- Many fine restaurants and eateries