Campus opportunities while visiting WKU's Hardin Planetarium
Groups of more than 40 who are visiting the Planetarium should plan to split their group into small sub-groups. These sub-groups may visit other venues on campus while awaiting their show at the Planetarium. Here are just some of the possibilities:
- The Confucius Institute: a wonderful look into Chinese culture with interactive programs for students of all ages. These programs are free. A five to seven minute walk from the Planetarium. Contact Betty Yu, director, at 270-745-2836 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Kentucky Museum (A ten to twelve minute walk from the Planetarium. There is a charge for these programs):
- offers special art programs for students and a chance to tour the Kentucky Museum. Contact Christy Spurlock at 270-745-6082 or email@example.com.
- offers a career-readiness tour of WKU including visiting the Kentucky Museum
- Architectural and Manufacturing Services offers tours of the robotics lab to groups of 25 people or less. Good for 4th grades and above. A two minute walk from the Planetarium.Contact Dr. Greg Arbuckle, Department Chair at 270-745-2403 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SkyTeach, a WKU science and math teachers program, offers programs for school groups in selected aspects of science and astronomy. A two minute walk from the Planetarium. Contact Dr. Rico Tyler at 270-745-4707 or email@example.com.
- The Chemistry Magic Show is available on request, and on a limited basis. Room availability and schedule of the presenter restrict the number of shows that are offered each year, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Contact Alicia McDaniel in the Chemistry department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Department of Theatre and Dance has childrens' performances during certain times of the year. There is a charge for these services. Contact Doris Patrick, 270-745-5845 or email@example.com.
The Planetarium does not provide meal opportunities. However, you can contact WKU Restaurant & Catering Group to inquire about special accommodations for your group on campus. You can visit their website here: http://www.campusdish.com/en-us/CSMA/WesternKentucky or call 270-745-2146.
There are also many nearby venues in and around Bowling Green for out-of-towners to combine with their visit the the Planetarium. Check with the BG Visitors Center for an up-to-date listing and contact information, at 800-326-7465 or VisitBGKY.com. Here are some options:
- Lost River Cave
- The Historic Rail Park Museum
- The Corvette Museum
- The South Union Shaker Village
- The Riverview House, a Victorian museum
- Jackson's Orchard
- Aviation Heritage Park
- SkyPAC (Southern Kentucky Performing Arts Center)
- The Public Theatre
- Orchestra Kentucky or the Symphony
- Bowling Green Skatepark
- BG Hot Rods minor league baseball
- Many fine restaurants and eateries
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,