Western Kentucky University supports public school teachers working with student teachers and teacher interns through the adoption of the following policy relevant to SB77, Section 9.
- In recognition of valuable service to the preparation of teachers and the need for all teachers to have continual professional growth, a supervising teacher or a resource teacher for teacher interns may, with prior approval of the course offering institution, take a maximum of six (6) credit hours per term at any public post secondary institution and pay no tuition. The post secondary institution shall waive the tuition up to a maximum of six credit hours.
- The teacher covered in this section may exercise the tuition-free course option, only if there is available space within a given course offering. A post secondary institution shall not be required to establish a course to meet teacher requests.
- The tuition-free courses may be used to partially satisfy requirements for an advanced degree.
The following conditions must be met for the tuition waiver to be effective.
- Public school teachers wishing to apply for the tuition waiver must be admitted to graduate studies at Western Kentucky University with a planned program of study on file in the Graduate Studies Office and/or Teacher Certification Office.
- Public school teachers are eligible for enrollment in tuition-free courses upon verification of the completion of an assignment as a supervising teacher (student teaching) or resource teacher under the Kentucky Teacher Internship Program. The written certification must include the supervising or resource teacher's name, social security number, the inclusive dates during which the public school teacher served as a supervising or resource teacher, a statement that he/she has submitted the final student teaching evaluation report or KTIP final report, and the signatures of the public school teacher and his/her principal verifying the completion of the experience. The request for waiver of tuition should be sent to the College of Education and Behavioral Sciences, Associate Dean, Western Kentucky University.
- Public school teachers serving as a student teaching supervisor for one full semester are eligible for six hours of tuition-free courses for each semester of supervision during an academic year. Those school teachers serving as a student teaching supervisor for one-half semester are eligible for three hours of tuition-free courses for each half semester of supervision during an academic year. Intern resource teachers are eligible for six hours of tuition-free courses for each year during which they serve as a resource teacher.
- Course eligibility must be used within two academic semesters after the end of the semester during which the assignment as a supervising teacher or resource teacher is completed. Academic semesters refer to Fall and Spring Semesters only. The tuition waiver does not apply to course work taken during the Summer and Winter Sessions.
- Public school teachers are responsible for payment of all required fees, books, and supplies in addition to any application costs and are responsible for gaining admission to their desired program of study.
- "On a space available basis" is defined as any course having space available after 8:00 a.m. on the last working day prior to the beginning of the Fall Semester and Spring Semester (e.g., if classes begin on a Monday, the last working day prior to the beginning of the semester is defined as Friday). Courses for which teachers enroll prior to this time are not eligible for the tuition waiver.
Western Kentucky University reserves the right to modify policy, procedures, and program eligibility.