Connect with The Center via Social Media
Educational Opportunity Dates
Click the Calendar link for other dates, maps, and greater detail.
June 9 - 21, 2013
AP SUMMER INSTITUTE
June 23 - 28, 2013
June 23 - July 13, 2013
THE SUMMER CAMP
July 15 - 19, 2013
FALL BREAK TRIP TO GERMANY
October 4 - 13, 2013
FALL SUPER SATURDAYS
November 2, 9, 16, and 23
WINTER SUPER SATURDAYS
February 1, 8, 15, and 22
SPRING BREAK TRIP TO ITALY
March 28 - April 6, 2014
The Summer Camp for Academically Talented Middle School Students
For gifted students who have completed sixth, seventh, or eighth grade, SCATS, The Summer Camp for Academically Talented Middle School Students, presents a unique learning environment to explore new ideas, develop concepts, make friends, and share experiences. SCATS classes open new doors of learning for gifted young people and provide a comfortable social atmosphere where they can be who they truly are.
SCATS provides a diverse curriculum and a wide range of enrichment experiences for about 200 middle school students every summer. A two-week program, SCATS provides both residential and nonresidential options. Nonresidential students attend classes and return home in the afternoons. Residential campers live in an air-conditioned residence hall on the WKU campus.
From almost thirty different course options, students are placed in four of their top ten choices and attend these classes every day. Class choices range from arts and humanities to mathematics and sciences, opening the doors to a wide variety of interests. SCATS courses are taught by veteran teachers with experience teaching gifted children. Teachers provide students with a great deal of individualized attention in the classroom. SCATS classes go beyond the limitations of the traditional classroom to allow students to learn and create in their own ways.
Though academics are at the heart of SCATS, emphasis is also placed on the social aspects of camp. When not in class, students are likely to be playing sports, participating in cookouts, dances, and talent shows or hanging out on the lawn in front of their residence hall, playing music, making crafts, and getting to know one another. Enjoying learning is the norm at SCATS, where students can find peers who share a wide range of academic and social interests. In many cases, the friendships students form at SCATS are life-long. “It’s not just a learning camp,” one participant remarked. “It’s a place where you feel accepted, loved and respected by your friends. A place you will never want to leave.”
SCATS 2013 Important Information
A blog is being kept by SCATS Counselors throughout the 2013 camp. You can CLICK HERE to view the blog or go to http://gifted-studies.com/campblog.
Dates: June 9 - 21, 2013
- Students must be completing 6th - 8th grade this year.
- Students must be nominated by a teacher, counselor, or principal.
- Students must show high interest/achievement in one or more content areas. (Please see full application for more details.)
- Tuition for residential SCATS campers is $1,800.
- Tuition for non-residential SCATS campers is $900.
- A non-refundable deposit of $200 is due with completed application. The full balance of tuition is due on or before May 15, 2013. Visa, Discover, and MasterCard are accepted for payment. Limited financial assistance is available.
- SCATS campers select their courses from a list mailed out two weeks before SCATS begins. Classes selection is not a part of the initial application process.
- VIEW THE 2013 COURSE LIST.
- Download and Print the 2013 SCATS Class Preference Worksheet.
SCATS applications are accepted in the order they are received. Enrollment for residential students is limited to 200; non-residential students are limited to a much smaller number.
Spotlight on The Center's Summer Programs