The Climate Change Challenge
Explore the impacts of climate change in Iceland as you travel the island nation and meet the people on the frontline.
A collaborative effort between WKU Department of Geography and Geology, the University
of Akureyri, the
WKU Honors College, and The $100 Solution (tm) offers students an international experience in Iceland to
study climate change and environmental science and education, combined with service learning.
Students will explore the science and communication of climate change, including topics such as oceanic acidification, melting glaciers, geothermal energy, volcanic impacts, and sustainability practices, while simultaneously being immersed in the local culture, to develop an appreciation of the challenges of climate change on an island in the North Atlantic.
The itinerary includes a variety of outdoor activities (hiking, ocean exploration, caving, water sampling), classroom/lab based activities, and community based service learning, with instruction provided by WKU and University of Akureyri faculty.
Students will develop problem solving, communication, cross-cultural learning, field methods, community service, interdisciplinary teamwork, personal leadership, and engagement skills in this high latitude adventure!
- Earn 5 credit hours: 3 hours of Geoscience, 2 hours of Service Learning
- Meet climate change experts in Iceland
- Complete $100 Solution(tm) Project
- Explore glaciers
- Visit geothermal sites
- Stand on two tectonic plates
- Get to know real Icelanders
Each course in the program will have specific learning goals. However, the overall learning goals include:
- To employ experiential learning in order to better understand climate change.
- To analyze the impact of climate change on a specific region of the globe.
- To develop an understanding of strategies to deal with climate change.
- Dr. Jason Polk - email@example.com
- Dr. Leslie North - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Bernie Strenecky - email@example.com
- Summer 2015
- American Traveler (non-credit) program - COMING SOON
Application will open
in mid fall 2015
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,