Proposal Approval Process
Proposal Deadline Schedule for 2014-2015 academic year.
March 1, 2014
New program proposals due for Winter 2015
March 1, 2014
Recurring program proposals due for Winter 2015.
April 1, 2014
New program proposals for Summer or Spring 2015.
August 1, 2014
Recurring program proposals for Summer or Spring 2015.
*** Remember, program leader signatures along with department head and dean are required on all proposals.
FLSA Leader Information Session
If you're interested in leading a study away or a faculty-led study abroad program, please follow the link below to register for this professional development opportunity.
We will offer the same session two times. Please sign up for one.
- January 22 @ 3 pm
- January 24 @ 9 am
Both at the Center for Faculty Development at the Erskine House.
The sessions are primarily for faculty looking to develop new programs, but experienced leaders are welcome as well.
You can see the events on the calendar now.
For new programs, the approval process follows these steps, which are explained in more detail at an initial meeting with the DELO staff:
- Faculty members interested in directing a Faculty Led Study Abroad program should click here. A member of the DELO staff will follow up with more complete information regarding proposing and directing a program.
- The faculty member should complete the program proposal and is encouraged to consult with the college liaison to the IEAC while developing the proposal. Program leaders are encouraged to consult with the college IEAC liaison at any point in the process.
- The Department Head reviews and endorses the proposal (for each course in a program).
- The Dean reviews and endorses the proposal (for each course in a program).
- The proposal is reviewed by the IEAC, who makes a recommendation to the CIO.
- The CIO reviews and determines if program should move forward.
- Once approved, DELO will manage the program with the faculty member.
The FLSA proposal process should begin at least 18 months prior to planned departure. Following a systematic approach will help alleviate a great deal of stress for the faculty and help assure the successful program.
Recognizing this new process will take several academic terms to fully implement, a shortened approval schedule is listeed above
The Program leaders will work with both SAGL and DELO in FLSA execution. This would include training, destination assessment, proposal development, risk management, health/safety, student recruitment, pre-departure preparation, promotion/marketing, assessment, financial and administrative oversight, developing/managing the budget and fulfilling travel logistics.
A minimum of two Program leaders are required for each FLSA enrolling up through 24 participants (credit and noncredit) within the program. For rosters beyond 24, another PL must be added to maintain a participant-to-PL ratio of not more than 12:1. Students enrolled in multiple courses will be counted once. If the Program leaders desire staffing beyond the recommended level, remuneration (if any) for additional personnel must be covered in the FLSA budget.
The Next Steps for NEW proposals:
Step 1 — Program Leaders meet with DELO's Study Away staff for planning session.
Step 2— Complete the program proposal and travel forms.
Program Leaders to develop an FLSA proposal with syllabus, draft itinerary, and learning goals.
- FLSA Proposal Form: PDF or Word version
- WKU Travel Authorization - Log in and complete the online form. It should be routed to Dept head. Study Away will provide the figures to use for the form.
Step 3 – After approval, work with the DELO staff on bringing it all to life.
The Next Steps for RECURRING programs:
Step 1 — Determine if your program is recurring.
A program may be considered recurring if it meets all these criteria from the most recently approved program:
- Program has been conducted less than 3 times in its current format.
- Primary faculty leader is the same.
- Itinerary is similar to previously approved program.
- Program takes place within the same term as previously approved.
- No other significant changes are planned that could affect program cost or logistics.
Step 2 - Confirm you will conduct the recurring program.
Step 3— Complete the recurring confirmation and travel forms.
All recurring confirmation need to include an updated syllabus, draft itinerary, and learning goals.
- FLSA Recurring Confirmation Form: PDF or Word version
- WKU Travel Authorization - Log in and complete the online form. It should be routed to Dept head. Study Away can provide the figures to use for the form.
Step 4 – After approval, work with the DELO staff on bringing it all to life.