2014-2015 Verification Update
**Please see http://www.wku.edu/financialaid/verification1415.php for additional information about the verification process**
KHEAA Verify has been contracted to complete all verification services on behalf of WKU. All 2014-2015 verification documents are available at www.kheaa.com, and should be completed then submitted to KHEAA Verify as soon as possible. KHEAA Verify will contact the student if the documents received are incomplete or if additional information is required to complete the verification process. Students and parents should contact KHEAA Verify with any questions concerning the receipt of their documents or the status of their verification, using the contact information below:
P.O. Box 4902
Frankfort, KY 40602
WKU will email a Missing Information Letter (MIL), to the student's WKU Topper Mail or the student's email address listed on the 14-15 FAFSA, detailing what documentation is required to be submitted to KHEAA Verify. Students can also see a list of required verification documents by signing in at www.kheaa.com. All verification documents must be received by August 1st of the award year to guarantee a student will be awarded by the fall semester "fees due date," and by January 1st of the award year to guarantee that a student will be awarded by the spring semester "fees due date."
Most students and parents who have filed their 2013 federal tax return will be able to select the IRS Data Retrieval option when completing their 2014-2015 FAFSA online, to transfer their 2013 federal tax information directly from the IRS to the FAFSA. Students and parents who complete the 2014-2015 FAFSA based on "estimated" 2013 federal tax information, are strongly encouraged to choose the IRS Data Retrieval Tool through the correction process at FAFSA on the Web (www.fafsa.ed.gov) once their federal tax return information is available. The IRS Data Retrieval process will streamline and expedite the processing of the student's financial aid application. Electronic filers will be able to access tax information from the IRS approximately 2-3 weeks after filing and paper filers need to allow 8-11 weeks for the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to become available.
IRS Data Retrieval Process:
- Go to www.fafsa.gov, click <Start Here>, log in and choose the link "make FAFSA corrections", enter password.
- Click on the financial information tab or page through to the financial information section.
- Look for the question at the top of the page that says, "For 2013, have you (or has your parent, if dependent) completed the IRS income tax return or another tax return?"
- Change the answer from Will File to Already Completed.
- A box will open up that will allow you to retrieve your tax data straight from the IRS.
- If you can check "none of the above" you will be asked for either your or your parent's (if dependent) PIN number and will then be redirected to the IRS website, follow their prompts and the FAFSA will populate automatically with your tax data.
- You will then be taken to the signature page and asked for your pin. Note for Dependent students - do not hit submit until after you have completed both the parent and student sections, if required.
- Resubmit your FAFSA.
A tax filer CANNOT use the IRS Data Retrieval option if:
- Student/parent has not filed a tax return
- Student/parent does not have a valid Social Security Number (SSN)
- Student and spouse or the parents of a dependent student filed separate tax returns or one of the married persons filed as head of household
- Student/parents filed a joint tax return but are now separated, divorced, or widowed
- Student/ parent filed an amended tax return
- Student/parent filed a foreign tax return
If a student's 2014-2015 FAFSA is selected for verification, and if the student and/or parent choose not to use or is not eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval option, the student and/or parent will be required to submit their 2013 IRS Tax Return Transcripts; IRS Forms 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ are NOT acceptable. If the student and/or parent IRS Tax Return Transcript is not available or the student and/or parent filed an amended tax return (1040X), please contact KHEAA Verify for specific guidance.
2013 IRS Tax Return Transcripts must be obtained directly from the IRS by the tax filer and can be requested, free of charge, one of five ways:
- "Get Transcript Online" at www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript (will produce a PDF version which can be printed)
- "Get Transcript by Mail" at www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript (IRS will mail a Tax Return Transcript)
- Order by phone at 800-908-9946 (IRS will mail a Tax Return Transcript)
- Use the "IRS2Go" free mobile app (IRS will mail a Tax Return Transcript)
- Submit a paper request using IRS Form 4506T-EZ (IRS will mail a Tax Return Transcript)