2013-2014 Verification Update
KHEAA Verify has been contracted to complete all verification services on behalf of WKU. All 2013-2014 verification documents are available by signing into Zip Access at www.kheaa.com, and should be completed then submitted to KHEAA Verify as soon as possible. KHEAA Verify will contact the student if the documents received are incomplete or if additional information is required to complete the verification process. Students and parents should contact KHEAA Verify with any questions concerning the receipt of their documents or the status of their verification, using the contact information below:
P.O. Box 4902
Frankfort, KY 40602
WKU will email a Missing Information Letter (MIL), to the student's WKU Topper Mail or the student's email address listed on the 13-14 FAFSA, detailing what documentation are required to be submitted to KHEAA Verify. Students can also see a list of required verification documents by signing into Zip Access at www.kheaa.com. All verification documents must be received by August 1st of the award year to guarantee a student will be awarded by the fall semester "fees due date," and by January 1st of the award year to guarantee that a student will be awarded by the spring semester "fees due date."
Most students and parents who have filed their 2012 federal tax return will be able to select the IRS Data Retrieval option when completing their 2013-2014 FAFSA online, to transfer their 2012 federal tax information directly from the IRS to the FAFSA. Students and parents who complete the 2013-2014 FAFSA based on "estimated" 2012 federal tax information, are strongly encouraged tochoose the IRS Data Retrieval Tool through the correction process at FAFSA on the Web (www.fafsa.ed.gov) once their federal tax return information is available. The IRS Data Retrieval process will streamline and expedite the processing of the student's financial aid application. Electronic filers will be able to access tax information from the IRS approximately 2-3 weeks after filing and paper filers need to allow up to 8 weeks for the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to become available.
IRS Data Retrieval Process:
- Go to www.fafsa.gov, click <Start Here>, log in and choose the link "make FAFSA corrections", enter password.
- Click on the financial information tab or page through to the financial information section.
- Look for the question at the top of the page that says, "For 2012, have you (or has your parent, if dependent) completed the IRS income tax return or another tax return?"
- Change the answer from Will File to Already Completed.
- A box will open up that will allow you to retrieve your tax data straight from the IRS.
- If you can check "none of the above" you will be asked for either your or your parent's (if dependent) PIN number and will then be redirected to the IRS website, follow their prompts and the FAFSA will populate automatically with your tax data.
- You will then be taken to the signature page and asked for your pin. Note for Dependent students - do not hit submit until after you have completed both the parent and student sections, if required.
- Resubmit your FAFSA.
A tax filer CANNOT use the IRS Data Retrieval option if:
- Student/parent has not filed a tax return
- Student/parent does not have a valid Social Security Number (SSN)
- Student and spouse or the parents of a dependent student filed separate tax returns or one of the married persons filed as head of household
- Student/parents filed a joint tax return but are now separated, divorced, or widowed
- Student/ parent filed an amended tax return
- Student/parent filed a foreign tax return
If a student's 2013-2014 FAFSA is selected for verification, and if the student and/or parent choose not to use or is not eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval option, the student and/or parent will be required to submit their 2012 IRS Tax Return Transcripts; IRS Forms 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ are NOT acceptable. If the student and/or parent IRS Tax Return Transcript is not available or the student and/or parent filed an amended tax return (1040X), please contact KHEAA Verify for specific guidance.
2012 IRS Tax Return Transcripts must be obtained directly from the IRS by the tax filer and can be requested, free of charge, one of five ways:
- Downloading the IRS2Go Mobile App at www.irs.gov
- Picked up at a local IRS Office (Local Bowling Green, KY / 200 West Professional Park Court)
- Call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946 or 1-800-829-1040 to speak to an IRS representative and request that the IRS Tax Return Transcript be faxed
- Order online at www.irs.gov
- Order by mail using a Form 4506-T which is available online at www.irs.gov.
See http://www.wku.edu/financialaid/verification.php for additional information about the verification process.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,