IRS Tax Return Transcript
The IRS Tax Return Transcript contains most of the line items from your federal income tax return as it was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules. It must be requested directly from the IRS in several ways:
- "Get Online Transcript" OR "Get Transcript by Mail" at www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript
- Order by phone at 800-908-9946
- Request IRS Tax Return Transcript be faxed by calling 800-829-1040 (Must be at a fax machine / Select "1" for English, "2" for personal tax information, then select "0" until transferred to an IRS rep – may have to select "0" several times)
- Use the "IRS2Go" free mobile app
- Submit a paper request using IRS Form 4506T-EZ
- Visit a local IRS office
Allow up to 10 business days to receive the IRS Tax Return Transcript by mail. If you owe money to the IRS, they may not release your Tax Return Transcript. If you recently filed your taxes electronically, allow two to three weeks before the IRS Tax Return Transcript becomes available. Paper filers should allow up to eight weeks before the Tax Return Transcript becomes available.
*Students and/or parents who successfully transfer the federal income tax information onto the FAFSA using the online IRS Data Retrieval Tool are not required to submit an IRS Tax Return Transcript.