IRS Tax Return Transcript
The IRS Tax Return Transcript contains most of the line items from your federal income tax return as it was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules. It must be requested directly from the IRS in several ways:
- "Get Online Transcript" at www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript (will produce a PDF version which can be printed)
- "Get Transcript by Mail" at www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript (IRS will mail a Tax Return Transcript)
- Order by phone at 800-908-9946 (IRS will mail a Tax Return Transcript)
- Use the "IRS2Go" free mobile app (IRS will mail a Tax Return Transcript)
- Submit a paper request using IRS Form 4506T-EZ (IRS will mail a Tax Return Transcript)
Allow up to 10 business days to receive the IRS Tax Return Transcript by mail. If you owe money to the IRS, they may not release your Tax Return Transcript. If you recently filed your taxes electronically, allow two to three weeks before the IRS Tax Return Transcript becomes available. Paper filers should allow 8-11 weeks before the Tax Return Transcript becomes available.
*Students and/or parents who successfully transfer the federal income tax information onto the FAFSA using the online IRS Data Retrieval Tool are not required to submit an IRS Tax Return Transcript.