IRS Data Retrieval
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool allows students and parents who filed a federal income tax return to electronically transfer the tax return data directly onto the FAFSA. If both the student and parent filed an individual federal income tax return, be sure to use the data retrieval tool for both the student and the parent. Contact a FAFSA representative at 800-433-3243 with questions about using this online tool. Electronic tax filers should allow 2-3 weeks for the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to become available on the FAFSA. Paper filers should allow 8-11 weeks for the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to become available.
- Go to www.fafsa.gov and click <Start Here>, log in, choose the link “make FAFSA corrections,” and enter your password.
- Click on the financial information tab or page through to the financial information section.
- Look for the question at the top of the page that says, “For 2015, have you (or has your parent, if dependent) completed the IRS income tax
return or another tax return?”
- NOTE: If completing verification for the 15/16 aid year, 2014 tax information is required.
- Change the answer from Will File to Already Completed.
- A box will open up that will allow you to retrieve your tax data straight from the IRS. First, you will be asked a few screening questions to determine whether the tax filer is eligible to use the IRS data retrieval tool.
- If you can answer “none of the above,” you will be asked for either your or your parent’s (if dependent) FSA ID number and will then be redirected to the IRS website. Follow the prompts and the FAFSA will populate automatically with your tax data.
- You will then be taken to the e-signature page and asked for your FSA ID. Note for Dependent students - do not hit submit until after you have retrieved tax data for both the parent and student, if both are tax filers.
- Resubmit your FAFSA.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,