The WKU Mechanical Engineering Program produces graduates who are well prepared for the start of productive, successful careers as practicing engineers.
Our graduates have a strong competitive advantage with their unique background of engineering fundamentals combined with practical knowledge and experience.
The WKU Mechanical Engineering Program provides a project-based, learner-driven environment relevant to the needs of our region. In support of this learning environment, the professional engineering activities of the faculty create opportunities for the students to practice the art and science of contemporary mechanical engineering.
OBJECTIVES: What our graduates know and can do 3-5 years after graduation
Our graduates demonstrate competence in the use of scientific, technical, and professional skills for the practice of mechanical engineering.
Our graduates have demonstrated the ability to identify problem causation and have implemented practical, application-oriented solutions.
Our graduates have demonstrated the ability to find additional knowledge necessary to solve unfamiliar problems.
Our graduates exhibit excellent two-way communication skills (written, oral, visual, and graphical) with a wide variety of audiences.
Our graduates have demonstrated ethical professional behavior and a comprehension of the breadth of the Engineer’s professional roles and responsibilities.
Our graduates have adapted to an ever-changing world by engaging in life-long learning and professional development activities.
Our graduates have contributed to their region’s economic development through their professional practice.
OUTCOMES: Skills and abilities our graduates have at completion of their program of study
1. Mechanical Engineering graduates can formulate mathematical descriptions of physical systems to predict system response.
2. Mechanical Engineering graduates can characterize relationships between and within mechanical, thermal and electrical engineering systems.
3. Mechanical Engineering graduates can measure physical quantities and can plan, conduct, analyze and evaluate experiments.
4. Mechanical Engineering graduates can use structured problem solving techniques, appraise the needs of clients, produce product/project definition statements, and propose appropriate engineering solutions.
5. Mechanical Engineering graduates can execute a design from inception through completion, and convey/document solutions in a wide variety of formats.
6. Mechanical Engineering graduates can successfully manage projects.
7. Mechanical Engineering graduates can participate effectively in multi-disciplinary teams.
8. Mechanical Engineering graduates can judge appropriate professional and ethical conduct.
9. Mechanical Engineering graduates are able to keep abreast of technology and have demonstrated the ability to learn without direct supervision.
10. Mechanical Engineering graduates are on a path leading to professional registration.
11. Mechanical Engineering graduates demonstrate knowledge of the impact of engineering practice on society, have considered the importance of contemporary societal issues as an element of their engineering decision process and have participated in activities involving the community.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,