School Principal (MAE), All-Grades
Prerequisites for Admission to Program of Preparation:
A minimum of 36 semester hours is required in the program to complete Level I Certification. Nine (9) hours of professional education are required and 27 hours of Educational Administration courses are required. Field experiences are required in EdAd 585, EdAd 597, and EdAd 690. A portfolio is required as an exit requirement. Initial certification is contingent upon additional Level II courses completed and/or the completion of Kentucky Department of Education approved professional development.
Admission into Educational Administration program requires one (1) acceptance by Western Kentucky University's Office of Graduate Studies (form A) and two (2) recommendations for admission by the Educational Administration Admissions Committee.
Students must meet the following conditions in order to apply for admission:
- A bachelors degree from an accredited institution
- A qualifying GAP score (3500) on old GRE, new GRE (2200) and 3.5 or higher on the analytical writing test (college requirement)
- One year of successful teaching experience
Department Admission Materials include:
(Note: Forward all department application materials at one time and in one envelope.)
- Department application
- Written personal statement
- Three professional recommendations
- Copy of a current, valid teaching certificate
- Verification of employment and experience by district office; and
- Recent snapshot after acceptance into program (optional)
EdAd 585 and EdAd 597 are prerequisites for all other EdAd courses. The admissions procedure must be complete before the student will be allowed to enroll in any other EdAd course.
Degree Program Course Work: (9 Hours) Professional Education :
- EdFn 500 Research Methods
- EdFn 576 Issues and Trends in Education
Three Hours from the following:
- PSY 510 Advanced Ed. Psychology
- PSY 511 Psychology of Learning
- PSY 519 Psychological Perspectives in Classroom Behavior
Educational Administration Concentration: (27 Hours)
- EdAd 585 Fundamentals of School Administration
- EdAd 588 Allocation and Use Of Resources
- EdAd 594 Seminar Leadership: Auxiliary Programs
- EdAd 597** Problems in Educational Administration & Supervision
- EdAd 677 Legal Issues For Professional Educators
- EdAd 682 School-Community Relations
- EdAd 683 Leading Teaching And Learning
- EdAd 684 Instructional Leadership
- EdAd 690 The Principalship
Related LinksApplication Packet for Masters Degree Programs
Application Packet for Masters Degree Programs **Enrollment intended to be concurrent with EdAd 585. Possession of this guide sheet does not imply a contract between the student and the University. Students in Educational Administration programs must have an approved program on file to insure certification. Questions regarding these requirements should be addressed to the student's advisor at 270-745-4890.
For certification information, see: Teacher Certification
NOTICE: Principal Preparation Program
In accordance with 16 KAR 3:05 section 4, Professional Certificate for Instructional Leadership - School Principal, All Grades, all Kentucky higher education institutions offering a principal preparation program will no longer be approved or accredited as of December 31, 2013. The Department of Educational Administration, Leadership, and Research will cease admitting candidates to the current program after the beginning of the fall 2011 term.
Those candidates who have been admitted to the current principal preparation program and those who will be admitted until December 31, 2011 will have until December 31, 2013 to complete the program.
See the Revised Principal Preparation Program which will begin Fall 2011. The department will have two principal preparation programs until December 31, 2013.
Links 16 KAR 3:050 - Professional certificate for instructional leadership - school principal, all grades
(Kentucky Legislative Research Commission)