School Principal, All-Grades
A minimum of 27 Semester Hours is required to achieve Level I, non-degree certification, for the all-grades principalship. Level II certification requires a minimum of 36 semester hours. For this program, students must have previously completed a master's degree program, which would qualify for a Rank II classification. Rank I endorsement may be recommended when the student has completed a total of 60 hours of combined coursework from the masters and post masters programs. Please note, however, a student must complete at least the necessary coursework for the Level I certification before a Rank I recommendation can be forwarded. Field experiences are required in several courses and a student portfolio is required of each student.
- Successful Completion of a master's degree from an accredited institution
- A GPA of 3.0 or higher on all completed graduate coursework
- Three (3) years of successful teaching experience
- Submission of the following to the department:
- Educational Administration Application Form
- Written personal statement
- Three professional recommendations
- Copy of a current, valid teaching certificate
Level I Coursework:
- EdAd 585 Fundamentals of School Administration
- EdAd 588 Allocation and Use Of Resources
- EdAd 594 Seminar Leadership: Auxiliary Programs
- EdAd 597** Problems in Educational Administration & Supervision
- EdAd 677 Legal Issues For Professional Educators
- EdAd 682 School-Community Relations
- EdAd 683 Leading Teaching And Learning
- EdAd 684 Instructional Leadership
- EdAd 690 The Principalship
Level II Coursework:
- EdAd 590 Administration of School Personnel
- EdAd 694 Seminar in Educational Leadership
- EdAd 696 Advanced Organizational Theory
*Please note: All students applying for the all-grades principalship certificate must have acceptable Communications Skills and General Knowledge portions of the NTE on file with the Kentucky Department of Education. If the aforementioned sections were required as part of the original teaching credential, these tests do not have to be retaken. **Enrollment intended to be concurrent with EdAd 585. Possession of this guide sheet does not imply a contract between the student and the University. Students in Educational Administration programs must have an approved program on file to insure certification.
Questions regarding these requirements should be addressed to the student's advisor at 270-745-4890.
For certification information, see: Teacher Certification
NOTICE: Principal Preparation Program
In accordance with 16 KAR 3:05 section 4, Professional Certificate for Instructional Leadership - School Principal, All Grades, all Kentucky higher education institutions offering a principal preparation program will no longer be approved or accredited as of December 31, 2011. The Department of Educational Administration, Leadership, and Research will cease admitting candidates to the current program after December 31, 2011.
Those candidates who have been admitted to the current principal preparation program and those who will be admitted until December 31, 2011 will have until December 31, 2013 to complete the program.
See the Revised Principal Preparation Program which will begin Fall 2011. The department will have two principal preparation programs until January 31, 2014.
Links 16 KAR 3:050 - Professional certificate for instructional leadership - school principal, all grades
(Kentucky Legislative Research Commission)