Skip to main content
Western Kentucky University


WKU Administration is keeping a close eye on the weather situation, and we will post any updates immediately to the website and on social media. Follow WKU News for the latest updates. #WKUAlert.

Counseling and Student Affairs

CSA Programs

CSA Certificates

Program Planning

Information For

Graduates Seeking to Enroll in Additional Courses

Department Policies

Course Prerequisites

Persons who are not currently enrolled in a Department of Counseling and Student Affairs program and want to complete academic courses must document completion of departmental course prerequisites or their equivalent from a CACREP accredited program. All substitutions for prerequisite courses from other CACREP programs will be accepted only with department head approval. Students enrolled in a Department of Counseling and Student Affairs program are expected to meet course prerequisites. Waiver of course prerequisites will require department head approval.

Second Masters

The Department of Counseling and Student Affairs conforms to the Western Kentucky University's Graduate Studies policy regarding the admission of applicants who previously have obtained a master's degree (See below.).

WKU Graduate Studies Second Master's Guidelines

The student who wishes to earn a second master's degree from Western Kentucky University must apply for and gain admission to the new program and satisfy all requirements (specific course work, research tool, thesis, etc.) for the new degree. No more than 12 hours of previous course work, whether transferred from another university, from the previous master's degree at Western (or a combination of the two) or as a non-degree seeking student at WKU may be used to fulfill program and research tool requirements. Any course work used must be earned within the six years allowed for the second master's degree program (p. 15, 2010- 2011 Graduate Catalog).

School Counseling Master's Degree Graduates Requesting Enrollment in Clinical Mental Health Counseling or Marriage, Couple, and Family Counseling Internship for LPCC or LMFT Licensure.

School counseling degree graduates, regardless of institution, who want to fulfill course requirements in order to secure licensure as a Marriage and Family Therapist or Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor must first apply and be admitted to the Marriage, Couple, and Family Counseling or Clinical Mental Health Counseling Program depending on the license they wish to pursue.

Enrollment in Academic or Clinical Courses by Persons Not Enrolled as Degree Seeking Students in the Department of Counseling and Student Affairs Programs

Students who have not been admitted to a program or who are not currently pursuing a program in the Department of Counseling and Student Affairs are not eligible to enroll in any of the department's clinical courses (CNS 590, 591, 595, or 596). To enroll in clinical courses students must first apply to the appropriate program, be admitted to the program, and meet all course prerequisites.

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
download excel.

Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
download word.

Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
download powerpoint.

Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,
download quicktime.

 Last Modified 9/24/14