B.S. in Computer Science - Specialty Option
The Specialty option is designed for students whose secondary interests are not supported by an official minor at WKU. The specialty option requires a minimum of 50 hours of approved computer science courses.
Please use iCAP within TopNet to verify your remaining degree requirements for the program of your catalog year.
Starting from Fall 2012, students who wish to declare a 629 computer science major are initially designated as 629P - Computer Science (Prep). In order to be granted full admission into the 629 computer science major, a student must satisfy the following requirements:
- Completion of CS 180, CS 181, and CS 280 with grades of C or better.
- Submit a Change of Major form to change from 629P to a 629 major.
2011-2012, 2012-2013 Catalog: 50 Hour Requirements for Specialty Option:
- All CS courses counting towards the CS program major must be completed with a C or better.
- Completion of the following CS core courses (41 hrs):
- CS 180 Computer Science I (4 hrs)
- CS 181 Computer Science II (4 hrs)
- CS 251 Introduction to Database (3 hrs)
- CS 280 Computer Science III (3 hrs)
- CS 325 Computer Organization and Architecture (3 hrs)
- CS 360 Software Engineering (3 hrs)
- CS 380 Data Structures (3 hrs)
- CS 381 Introduction to Computer Network (3 hrs)
- CS 382 Programming Languages (3 hrs)
- CS 396 Intermediate Software Project (3 hrs)
- CS 425 Operating Systems I (3 hrs)
- CS 443 Databse Management (3 hrs)
- CS 496 Senior Project and Professional Practice (3 hrs)
- Completion of an additional 9 hours of CS electives at the 200 level or above (excluding CS 226 and 257) including 3 hours at the 400 level and another 3 hours at the 300 level or higher. NOTE: At most 1.5 hours of credit for CS 239 may count towards the major. At most 3 hours of credit for CS 239 and 245 (only for languages for which credit is not received through another course) may count towards the major.
- An additional 18 hours of specialty courses, selected in consultation with a CS advisor, not used to satisfy specific graduation requirements for the CS major or for general education, including 9 hours at the 300 level or above.
- Additional requirements include:
- ENG 307 and MATH 136 and STAT 301 and PHIL 215