- Prospective Undergraduate Students
- Current Undergraduate Students
- Prospective Graduate Students
- Current Graduate Students
InternshipsCOMM 489 - Internship in Communication
- This course is a requirement in Corporate & Organizational Communication major
- This course is an elective in Communication Studies major
- Completion of twenty-four (24) credit hours in Communication courses
- Completion of COMM 200 (Communication Foundations) or COMM 362 (Organizational Communication)
Meet with the Director of Internships no later than the semester prior to the semester of the Internship.
To be enrolled, the student, Director of Internships, and the participating business, will work through three (3) forms -
- Application Form
- Learning Contract
- WKU unofficial transcript (from TopNet)
Upon successful completion/agreement on the scope of the internship, student, Director of Internships, and the Supervisor(s) must sign the Learning Contract as a Binding Agreement.
Steps to participate in the internship experience:
1. Find an internship in which you are interested (WKU's Career Services Center and the Internship Director can assist you).
2. Interview and secure an internship. You should also fill out the Application and obtain an unofficial copy (from TopNet) of your transcript.
3. Obtain the Learning Contract from your employer, confirming your position and responsibilities.
4. Schedule appointments with Dr. Carl Kell, Department of Communication, to be enrolled in COMM 489
5. Finally, be cleared by the Internship Director and the Communication office.
6. The work-time requirement for the course is 240 to 250 hours. Beyond your on-the-job requirement, you will need to meet the following commitments:
- WKU Unofficial Transcript (from TopNet)
- Application for Internship
- Learning Contract
- Midterm Evaluation: Student Feedback
- Midterm Evaluation: Site Supervisor(s) Feedback
- Final Evaluation: Student Feedback
- Final Evaluation: Site Supervisor(s) Feedback
- NOTE: To view and print a copy of the course syllabus, click here.
|Application for Internship|
|Midterm Evaluation: Student Feedback|
|Final Evaluation: Student Feedback|
|Midterm Evaluation: Site Supervisor Feedback|
|Final Evaluation: Site Supervisor Feedback|
Students may contact Career Services to receive help on job placement.