Welcome to the Department of Communication at Western Kentucky University!
We are looking for great students to join our family, and hope that after exploring our site you will find that a Communication major is right for you. If you are interested in our graduate program, please follow the “graduate program” link on the left side of your screen.
In the department we believe that communication is the central feature of human life. Communication allows relationships, families, businesses, non-profits, communities, and cultures to form, continue, and dissolve. This makes understanding the complexities of communication absolutely vital to the human community. Communication doesn’t just happen, so we provide our students with the theory to ask good questions and provide strong answers to the communication problems they face. We also help them develop strong communication skills in the different contexts they will find themselves.
The world needs graduates who understand the complexities of modern life, and who can be trained for success in the 21st century. This is what a degree in communication can offer. When you join the Department of Communication you will have the following advantages:
- Three departmental student organizations to join:
◦ Lambda Pi Eta (National Communication Honorary Society)
- Two distinct majors from which to choose, Communication Studies or Corporate and Organizational Communication, both of which provide excellent training in the complexities of communication
- Relationships with a caring faculty who are nationally and internationally recognized for their teaching and research
- Use of the Communication Success Center, which includes tutoring, presentation practice space, and state of the art digital audio and video technology to help improve communication skills
- Access to a vast alumni network including Department of Communication graduates working in sales, human resources, event planning, government, recruiting, organizational development, training, education, annual giving, community outreach, and more! Click here for a list of job titles for over 1,000 of our alumni.
- Opportunity to apply for departmental scholarships
We are ready to meet you, and help you become a part of the Department of Communication. Please contact us to make an appointment to discuss the major and what it can do for you. You can stop by the department office in Fine Arts Center 130, call us at 270-745-3296, or email our office associate, Laura Wagoner, at email@example.com. Join our Facebook group. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Helen Sterk, Ph.D.
Head, Department of Communication