- About CI at WKU
- About Hanban
- Study Abroad
- CI in the News
- CI Publications
- CI Announcements
- Confucius Institute Summer Programming
- 2013 Joint Meeting of U.S. Confucius Institute (Classrooms)
- The Chinese Cultural Experience (CI Mobile Unit))
- CI at WKU Compilation Video
- "2014 Understanding China Documentary"
Confucius Institute Scholarships Information and Application Instruction
- Students in Confucius Institute (Classroom) programs worldwide;
- Teachers or individuals who will become teachers who are planning to teach Chinese as a second language;
- Students who received an outstanding score on the Chinese proficiency test held by the Confucius Institute Headquarters;
- Outstanding contestants in the "Chinese Bridge" competition;
- Selected persons who meet Confucius Institute Headquarters requirements.
- Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens and be in good health.
Scholarship categories and criteria:
- Scholarship for short-term Chinese study: This scholarship funds an academic semester and year. In general, applicants must have basic Chinese language proficiency and not be over 55 years old.
- Fellowship for a Chinese language international education master's degree (Chinese as a second language):This fellowship funds up to 2 years of study. Applicants need to have an academic degree or equivalent education, and generally should not exceed 45 years old.
Supported fields of study:
- During 2011, Confucius Institute scholarships supported fields of study include language, education (teaching the Chinese language), history and Chinese medicine.
- Scholarship benefits and amounts:
- Pays for tuition, dormitory fee, and basic medical treatment.
- Pays for comprehensive medical insurance while studying in China.
- Pays a one-time housing stipend. Standard amounts:
1. If studying for a full academic year: 1500 RMB
2. If studying for more than a semester but less than an academic year: 1000 RMB
- Pays a monthly stipend for living expenses. Standard amounts:
1. Short-term studies student: 1400 RMB
2. Master's degree student: 1700 RMB
The application process:
- Applicants must log onto the Confucius Institute Scholarships website: http://cis.chinese.cn, and create a profile, fill out the online application, print it, sign it and return it along with other supporting documents by March 31 , 2011 to the Confucius Institute at Western Kentucky University.
- The Confucius Institute at WesternKentucky University will select the best applications to send to the Chinese university being applied for. That university will then begin application evaluations. The university has until April 30, 2011 to send the results of their evaluation to the Confucius Institute Headquarters. There the most outstanding applicants will be selected for scholarships.
- Applicants may log onto their account on the Confucius Institute Scholarship website to check the status and results of their application.
Applicants must submit the following applications materials (in duplicate):
- Confucius Institute Scholarship application
- .Passport photo page (copy)
- Personal statement: includes applicant's Chinese language background, plan to study in China, etc., not to exceed 200 words;English or Chinese may be used. A signature is required. Applicants applying for the master's fellowship must list their study and research plans.
- Certificate of Chinese language proficiency (copy): Applicants for the master's degree fellowship must submit a copy of their HSK test results.
- Academic diploma (copy) and transcripts (sealed and issued by the registrar's office): If documents are in a language other than Chinese or English, a certified translation into English or Chinese must be included. Academic degree scholarship applicants must send two letters of recommendation from professors or associate professors. Letters must be written in English or Chinese.
- Confucius Institute Headquarters will notify the Chinese university of the results by May 31, 2011.
- The university will send notification and the scholarship certificate to scholarship recipients.
- Scholarship recipients must register with their Chinese university by the specified deadline. Recipients who fail to do so will have their scholarships revoked.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,