Comprehensive Written Master's Examinations
Office of the Dean
College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
Western Kentucky University
1906 College Heights Blvd., #11030
Bowling Green, KY 42101-1030
Application Deadline: Friday, October 11, 2013
Exam Date: Saturday, November 2, 2013
Comprehensive written master's examinations are required for some students in the following areas:
- MAE in Special Education, Learning and Behavior Disorders (Ref. # 0437), LBNC concentration only (i.e., those seeking initial certification at the graduate level)
- MAE in Secondary Education (Ref. #103), ARTC students and GSKyTeach students only (i.e., those seeking initial certification at the graduate level).
- MAE in Educational Administration (Instructional Leader-School Principal all grades) -Ref. # 151)
- MAE in School Counseling (Ref. #046)
- MAE in Counseling: Clinical Mental Health, Marriage and Family Therapy (Ref. #043)
- MAE in Student Affairs in Higher Education (Ref. #145)
- MAE in Education and Behavioral Science Studies (Ref. # 042)
TIME AND PLACE: The examination will be held on SATURDAY, November 2, 2013, from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 noon (Central Time).
All examinations will be conducted in Gary A. Ransdell Hall (GRH). Contact your department or advisor for location.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE? The following requirements must be met to take the comprehensive examination: be admitted to candidacy (Form D must be filed at least one semester prior to taking the comprehensive exam); have completed any required research foundations and/or specified research course(s) on the program of study; be in the last semester of the degree program or have completed all content course work associated with the program; be in good standing academically; and have completed any additional requirements as specified by the department(s) directing the program. Students should contact their program advisors for information about the specific comprehensive exam policy for that program.
The examination will be evaluated by your major department and a grade of Pass or
Fail will be assigned. The accompanying application form MUST be submitted directly to:
Dr. Janet Applin, Associate Dean for Academic Programs, College of Education and Behavioral Sciences, ON OR BEFORE Friday, October 11, 2013. Please follow submission instructions at the bottom of the application.
By October 25, 2013, you should receive confirmation of your application from the department of your major. If you have any questions, please contact your advisor or the appropriate department head.
- Program-specific Information on Comprehensive Exams:
- CEBS Policy on Comprehensive Exams
- Writing Good Answers to Essay Questions
- FAQs Regarding CEBS Graduate Course Enrollment and Program Completion