International Student Teaching
Applying for a Student Teaching Experience
Student teaching in a foreign country can be very rewarding. It offers an opportunity to learn about and experience a diverse culture. These experiences will help prepare for teaching in diverse classrooms.
Student Teaching Experience:
Students will successfully complete 12 weeks of student teaching in Kentucky, complete their Teacher Work Sample, and then complete 4 weeks of student teaching at a K-12 school in a foreign country. Students stay with a host family or in university dormitories; work with the local school teachers; and learn about the language, culture and educational system of the country. Cultural field trips may be included in this experience. At least one year of college level foreign language is preferred but not required for this experience. Upon return to campus, students will be required to give a presentation of their experience to an audience determined by the program faculty.
Process for Application:
Complete a Student Teaching Application:
Indicate on application form interest in study abroad.
- For Spring Semester Teaching: Applications Available September 1-15
- For Fall Semester Teaching: Applications Available February 1-15
Complete a Study Abroad Application:
- For Spring Semester Study Abroad: Applications Available October 1-15
- For Fall Semester Study Abroad: Applications Available March 1-15
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- 2 letters of recommendation from Western faculty members
- Successful interview with program faculty
- Attend an orientation session in preparation for student teaching in a foreign country
- Successful completion of first phase of student teaching
- Completion of Teacher Work Sample
- Obtain passport, immunizations, International Student Identification Card, and any other necessary documentation for foreign travel
- Study Abroad tuition scholarships may be available from the Office of International Programs, 745-6398.
- Other information and applications are available from the Director of Teacher Services, Tate Page Hall 408, 745-4611.
College of Education & Behavioral Sciences
1906 College Heights Boulevard #61031
Western Kentucky University
Bowling Green, KY 42101-1031