Intended candidates for the degree are individuals who have completed at least a master's degree (or other appropriate graduate degree), have demonstrated leadership capacity within their organizational settings, and/or are committed to enhancing their abilities to learn and to enhance the educational missions of their organizations and communities.
Program admission is based on a holistic evaluation of the candidate's application file, which must include:
- Transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate course work;
- Documentation of a master's degree (or other graduate degree) from an institution accredited by a nationally recognized accreditation organization;
- Completed application;
- Current (within 1 year of application deadline) resume or vita;
- An in-depth personal statement including qualifications, rationale, and goals related to pursuing the WKU Ed.D. program;
- Three current (within 1 year of application deadline) letters of recommendation from persons in a position to evaluate the applicant's potential for success in a doctoral program; and
- Official GRE scores. Minimum scores of GRE-V = 145, GRE-Q = 145 (or their equivalents on older versions of the GRE), and 4.0 analytical writing are preferred.
- Submission of a writing sample (requested during the admission review process) if applicants took the GRE without the Analytic Writing portion or if Analytic Writing score falls below preferred minimum.
International students are encouraged to apply and must submit the following additional documents for admission consideration:
- Evidence of ability to communicate in English (as evidenced by a minimum of 570 on the paper based TOEFL, a minimum of 88 on the iBT TOEFL, a minimum of 7.0 on the IELTS; or a degree from an institution with English as the language of instruction).
- Evidence of adequate financial resources
To apply for the Educational Leadership Doctoral Program, click here.
Please note: For Fall cohort admission, the application deadline is April 1. For Spring cohort admission, the application deadline is October 1.
Note about Graduate Assistantships: Although Educational Leadership Doctoral Program at WKU is designed for working professionals, there are a limited number of competitive GA scholarships for students seeking to enroll full-time. We are currently seeking persons who have strong research and/or P-12 backgrounds for these positions. Applicants who desire to be considered for these positions should indicate this in their Personal Statement, as part of their application.
The tuition rate for the program is based on WKU graduate tuition rates. Additionally there is a course fee per credit hour for students in the program. The current course fee is $190 per credit hour per semester. This program fee is constant for each class (cohort) admitted. For additional information about these fees, please contact the Educational Leadership Doctoral Program at (270) 745-3061.
Potential financial resources include:
- Student loans
- Tuition waiver for credits obtained by P-12 teachers providing supervision of student teachers/interns
- Tuition credit waivers for state employees
- Employer/district matching contracts and/or professional development funds
- Contracted organizational incentive discounts
- Personal funds
- Graduate Student Research Grants
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,