Department of Psychology - Position ID: 999723
Back to: Positions Available
The Western Kentucky University Psychology Department (http://www.wku.edu/psychology/) is seeking qualified internal applicants for the position of Department Head. The Psychology Department Head is expected to manage department operations and undergraduate programs on the main and extended campuses, facilitate the direction of graduate programs, and represent the department within the college, across the campus, and in the community.
Required education and qualifications for the Psychology Department Head position include:
- Earned Ph.D. in Psychology
- An academic record consistent with departmental standards for tenure and full professorship
- Ability to lead a department composed of divergent programs and faculty interests in excellence in teaching, research, and service
- Dedication to creating and sustaining a collaborative professional work environment
- Budget management skills
- Personnel evaluation skills
- Evidence-based decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse multi-ethnic/multicultural environment
- Articulated vision for the future of the department
Applicants should submit:
- Curriculum vitae
- Cover letter of no more than 3 pages providing a statement of interest, a general statement of qualifications, and a vision for the department
- Leadership philosophy describing how the applicant’s experience matches the stated qualifications (e.g., leadership, dedication, budget, personnel evaluation, etc.)
- Contact information for 3 professional references external to the Psychology Department
Materials should be submitted electronically to the search committee chair at: email@example.com. The review process will begin March 21, 2014, and continue until the position is filled. Duties begin July 1, 2014.
Kentucky state law requires all public institutions of postsecondary education to conduct pre-employment criminal background checks to determine suitability for employment.
Western Kentucky University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, religion, veteran status, or marital status in admission to career and technical education programs and/or activities, or employment practices in accordance with Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Revised 1992, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
Persons with disabilities, who need reasonable accommodations to participate in the application and/or selection process, should notify The Office of Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/University ADA Services at (270) 745- 5121, a minimum of five working days in advance.