Hays Watkins Faculty Fellows hold high distinction within the Gordon Ford College of Business as the recognized leading experts in either research or teaching. This recognition is awarded with the intention that the Fellows will develop and deliver initiatives that will enable other faculty members in the College to improve or enhance their own research or teaching performance and outcomes. The distinction as Hays Watkins Faculty Fellow will be a permanent designation.
The Hays Watkins Faculty Fellowship Program is established in support of four major objectives:
- To recognize and reward outstanding Gordon Ford faculty members who excel in research or teaching,
- To create a growing cadre of meritorious faculty members in the Gordon Ford College who mentor and share their expertise with other College faculty members,
- To enhance the research culture in the Gordon Ford College of Business and improve performance outcomes of all faculty members in the College; to provide information as to how to research more effectively in the faculty members’ disciplines, and
- To enhance the teaching culture in the Gordon Ford College of Business and improve performance outcomes of all faculty members in the College; to provide information as to how to teach more effectively in the faculty members’ disciplines.
- Permanent recognition as a Hays Watkins Faculty (Research or Teaching) Fellow with a plaque awarded at the annual College awards banquet, listing on a Hays Watkins Faculty Fellows plaque displayed in the College, a media news release, and listing on letterhead, business cards, and other communications and promotional materials;
- Salary stipend of $6,500 plus professional development funding of $1,000 per year for the two-year term of the Fellowship.
- The types and numbers of initiatives performed by a Hays Watkins Faculty Fellow are left to the discretion and creativity of the individual Fellow. The minimum expectation is the delivery of at least one public workshop or symposium, available to all College members, that fulfills the Fellowship intent during each semester (four initiatives during the two year term) of the Fellowship term. It is expected that these workshops or symposiums would be approximately 60 to 75 minutes in length.
- An annual report of the initiatives presented, outcomes, and accomplishments of the Hays Watkins Faculty Fellow, which will be forwarded to Mr. Hays Watkins, must be submitted to the Dean no later than August 15th of the following academic year. Any workshop or symposium materials, teaching and research aids, cases, tools, software, or other materials used in the delivery of the Fellowship initiatives must also be posted to the Hays Watkins Fellowship Program website on the College website no later than August 15th of the following academic year. Presentations will also be videotaped and posted on the Fellowship Program website.
- Failure to complete the responsibilities noted above, or inappropriate conduct or unprofessional behavior inconsistent with the Faculty and Staff Code of Ethics of the Gordon Ford College of Business, or the spirit of the Hays Watkins Faculty Fellowship Program, will result in the immediate termination of the Fellowship and removal of all future support, recognitions, and distinctions.
Fellowship Application and Award Process
- Two Hays Watkins Faculty Fellows, one in research and one in teaching, will be awarded each April and will be announced at the annual College awards banquet. Each Fellowship will begin a two-year term on August 15th. Early in each academic year, a meeting of all current and past Fellows will be held to acclimate the new Fellows to the program and discuss the nature of the past initiatives, suggestions for improvement, and any “lessons learned.”
- All full-time and participating faculty members of the Gordon Ford College, other than the exclusions described below, are eligible to apply for a Hays Watkins Faculty Fellowship in either research or teaching. Endowed professors or fellows, department chairs and deans may not receive a Hays Watkins Faculty Fellowship.
- Past Hays Watkins Fellows can reapply for the same Fellowship after a period of at least two full academic years from the end of their most recent Fellowship term has passed. A research Fellow can apply for a teaching Fellowship, and vice versa, immediately upon completion of the first Fellowship. A faculty member cannot hold research and teaching fellowships concurrently.
- Eligible Faculty members may apply for a Fellowship by submitting a letter of
application and a current resume to the Dean of the Gordon Ford College of Business
no later than February 1st. The application letter should describe:
- The type of Fellowship sought: research or teaching;
- The qualifications and experiences of the applicant as they apply to the intent and objectives of a Hays Watkins Faculty Fellowship;
- The expected benefit to the Gordon Ford College of Business resulting from the applicant’s selection as a Hays Watkins Faculty Fellow;
- A preliminary plan for the types of Fellowship initiatives the applicant expects to deliver – these should be relatively thorough in nature;
- The past initiatives delivered and performance outcomes achieved from a previous
Hays Watkins Faculty Fellowship, if applicable.
(These descriptions should be relatively brief in nature, with each section not expected to exceed approximately one page each.)
- Selection of the Hays Watkins Faculty Fellows will be made by the Gordon Ford Administrative Council after thorough review of all submitted applications and materials. The formal announcement of the Fellowships to be awarded will be made at the annual awards banquet of the Gordon Ford College of Business.
- The official term of the newly announced Hays Watkins Faculty Fellowships will begin on the following August 15th and end on May 15th of the following academic year (21 month appointment).
- Since the distinction as a Hays Watkins Faculty Fellow is of a permanent nature, it is expected that past and current Faculty Fellows will continue to promote the spirit of the Hays Watkins fellows program.
- Any questions regarding the Hays Watkins Faculty Fellowship Program should be directed to the Dean of the Gordon Ford College of Business.
Faculty and Staff
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,