WKU REGIONAL CAMPUSES
BIOL 369 Internship Process (General Syllabus on TopNet)
1) Go to Career Services and speak with Elizabeth Heller for off campus internship forms or Click Here for an application to be a laboratory teaching assistant within the Department of Biology.
2) Speak with your biology advisor or if you know someone well in the department that you'd like to serve as your faculty coordinator, speak with them ...if you hit a roadblock, come speak with the Department Head.
3) Contact places where you would like to do an internship. A three credit class meets 3 h / week for 15 weeks = 45 plus time spent on the class outside of scheduled meetings (typically suggested ratio is 2-3 h outside for every 1 h of class). This yields about 150-160 h of time on an internship. You need an on-site supervisor who can provide an evaluation of your performance. The faculty coordinator determines what items will be used to evaluate your performance in addition to the letter of evaluation (see syllabus). You may meet with your coordinator at times (this is decided between you two) but there's not a set class meeting time (it's a class of one, you!).
4) Explore your opportunities - shop around (Career Services can help)!
5) If you intern at a place of employment, then you should make sure between you and your on-site supervisor ("boss") that your internship EXPANDS your horizons – you should do some things you do not do as part of your work. Also, your internship should not be just "labor" ...again, it should be educational and broadening ...you should be able to define aspects of your day where you are "working" and other aspects that you are "interning" – yes, there will be some overlap but they should not be identical.
Note: as of 2012 we will be dropping BIOL 389 and going to variable credit for 369 (maximum of 3 h for 36 h major (617) and 6 h for 48 h major (525)
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,