Wieb Van Der Meer
Bioinformatics and Information Science Center
Mission Statement and Goals
The mission of the Bioinformatics and Information Science Center at WKU is to build and maintain an interdisciplinary community, with student engagement, that will collaboratively propose and solve problems in bioinformatics and information science.
As part of its mission, BISC will develop goals and procedures to:
- Advance bioinformatics and information science at WKU by bringing together members of the research community who are interested in informatics.
- Advance learning by engaging students in experiences that combine technical skills, scientific integrity, collaboration, and real-world opportunities.
- Develop a support network for bioinformatics and information research and projects through collaboration and consulting.
- Build a strong interdisciplinary curriculum that will prepare students to compete in an expanding world of information science, enter the informatics workforce, and excel in graduate informatics programs.
- Help members compete for external funding through grants, contracts, and endowments; and to present and publish their results in appropriate venues.
Faculty and staff from all disciplines are invited to join BISC. Members will have the opportunity to contribute to the development of policies to fulfill the mission of the center, participate in consulting, mentor students in applied research, and help build a cross-disciplinary curriculum in bioinformatics and information science. Members also will be able to establish collaborations with fellow BISC members and are encouraged to support the mission of the center in any way that they can.
High Performance Computing Center
The High Performance Computing Center is here. Click here for more information!
Congratulations to our 2013/2014 Graduate Assistantship Awardees!
Sai Sindhuja Veeramachaneni (supervising faculty member, Uta Ziegler)
2012 BISC Research Symposium
“Strengthening Collaborations through Interactive Posters”
The 2012 BISC Research Symposium was held November 9 from 1:00 – 3:00 pm in Snell 2102. The Bioinformatics and Information Science Center invited all Ogden College faculty, staff, and students to present posters on their research in bioinformatics and information science. This was an opportunity for the informatics community to exchange ideas in a relaxed, yet informative, atmosphere. Click here for photo gallery.
The 2014 summit will be held April 11-13, 2014 at Lake Barkley State Park
Cadiz, KY . The summit is jointly Sponsored by the UTHSC Center of Genomics & Bioinformatics, the UT/ORNL Science Alliance, the UT Molecular Resource Center, the UT Innovative Computing Laboratory and the Kentucky Biomedical Research Infrastructure Network.
2012 Summit Abstracts: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3409059/
2011 Summit Abstracts: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/12?issue=S7
2010 Summit Abstracts: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/11?issue=S4
2009 Summit Abstracts: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/10?issue=S7
2008 Summit Abstracts: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/9?issue=S7
2007 Summit Abstracts: http://citg.uthsc.edu/summit_07/posters.html
JOIN BISCClick here for information on how to join
2012 BISC and HPCC Research Symposium, November 9
Graduate Research Assistantship Application
High Performance Computing Center
Take a look at the WKU departments that participate in BISC
UT-ORNL-KBRIN Bioinformatics Summit 2013full story...
History of BISC
A brief overview of how BISC came about.