Success Through Evaluation, Placement, and Support (STEPS) is a retention program for first-time freshmen who have developmental needs in two of the following three subject areas. This includes an English ACT sub-score below 16 (SAT Verbal/Critical Reading score below 410); a Reading ACT sub-score below 18 (SAT Verbal/Critical Reading score below 450); ACT Math sub-score below 22 (SAT Mathematics score below 510). These students are required to take the required developmental courses during their first semester at Western Kentucky University. A STEPS student will have two majors listed. The first major simply identifies them as a student in the STEPS program. The second major is the student's chosen major. At the end of the student's participation in STEPS the first major of STEPS will be dropped and only the student's chosen major will remain. Students are required to participate in the STEPS program until they complete their developmental courses.
Students agree to:
- Attend BEP Workshops to plan for the semester and to improve academic skills to make
them better students.
- Workshop #1 (part A and part B) must be completed by March 19, 2015.
- Workshop #2 (part A and part B) must be completed by April 30, 2015.
- Complete MAP-Works® Spring Transition Survey.
- Survey is emailed to your Toppermail at the end of the third week of the semester.
- Compose a reflection paper detailing the overall BEP experience. This paper is due at the end of workshop #2.
- Allow parents/guardians to inquire about their academic progress, grades, attendance, etc.
- Pass all developmental courses with a grade of C or better. Failure to receive a grade of C will require the student to repeat the developmental courses until a grade of C is achieved.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,