These lifelong learning opportunities are developed and led by experts and designed to give participants a one-of-a-kind experience.
Art & Literacy - May 2012
Study Like Your Hair is on Fire with Rafe Esquith
An enrichment learning opportunity in which you will explore the arts and literacy infused model by studying parallel relationships between the arts and literacy, styles, and expressive characteristics within P-12 school curriculum and instruction.
The program combines group meetings the week of May 21 followed by a 6-day/5-night study experience in Los Angeles, California.
- Must be 18 years of age or older, regardless of parental consent
- Permission of instructor
- Complete registration with deposit
The program runs concurrently with ART 496/496G: Art and Literacy, which is designed to help visual art, elementary, and arts & humanities pre-service teachers by direct hands on experience of "Living through" the arts infused, cross disciplinary instruction, featuring two or more subject areas addressing a common theme, concept, or problem.
From May 21 to May 25, 9 am to 3 pm each day, the class will meet in FAC 425. These days will inlcude workshops such as KET Toolkit Workshop, Drama Workshop, and Book making workshop. The exact content of workshops is still tentative.
The travel portion to Los Angeles takes place from May 29 to June 3 for a 4-day learning experience.
The group will travel to L.A. to visit "Hobart Shakespeareans" of Hobart Boulevard Elementary School, to experience the successful model of language, visual, dramatic arts, and music by inner-city Los Angeles school teacher Rafe Esquith. Rafe visited WKU campus in November 2011 sponsored by the Mary E. Hensley Lecture Series.
The visit to Rafe's 5th grade class, Room 56 at Hobart Elementary School in L.A. will be an excellent opportunity for ART 496/496G students to personally interact and learn how Rafe works with his students, all of them qualify for free breakfast and lunch, and few speak English as a first language. They excel and succeed far beyond their 5th grade level on all subjects. We will also watch their 2012 Shakespeare play "Measure for Measure" Friday June 1, 2012 scheduled during our visit to his class.
Los Angeles Information - Planned Site Visits:
- Tuesday 5/29 - Arrive at LAX LA Int’l Airport
- Wednesday 5/30 - J. P. Getty Center of Los Angeles Getty Museum -- http://www.getty.edu/index.html. Established in 1997 by J. P. Getty and well known for its architecture, gardens, and views overlooking Los Angeles and the Pacific Ocean.
- Thursday 5/31 - Autry National Center of the American West - http://theautry.org. Established in 1988 by Gene Autry to explore and share the comprehensive story of the American West. Known for the largest Native American Art Collection. Native American Story Telling Workshop with Geri Keams, Navajo Storyteller, Actress, and Author born and raised in the Painted Desert of Arizona, http://gerikeams.com
- Friday, 6/1 - Visit Hobart Shakespeareans, http://www.hobartshakespeareans.org. Meet the master teacher, Rafe Esquith and the Hobart Shakespeareans! Evening Performance, “Measure for Measure” - Tickets for WKU Study Away students have been reserved for Friday performance.
- Saturday 6/2 - More visit with Rafe, his former students, and Hobart Shakespeareans.
- Sunday 6/3 - Return to Bowling Green
- Includes lodging (double occupancy), fees, round-trip air transportation (to/from
LAX), and ground transportation in LA.
** Single occupany will have an added fee. **
- Not included in program fee: transportation to departure airport (Nashville), meals and personal spending money.
- WKU credit is not earned in the American Traveler program.
- Initial payment with paper application.
- Balance will be due according to deadline listed on registration form.
- Final program fee subject to change due to travel arrangements.
- The group flight originates and returns to Nashville. Any individual deviation to the group flight may be at the traveler's expense.
Timeline (subject to change):
- Right Away - Registration with initial payment due with credit/debit card
- May 16 - Final payment due
- May 21 to 25 - WKU campus class meetings
- May 29 - depart for Los Angeles
- June 3 - return from Los Angeles
- June 30 - Post-program assessment by Study Away