The Gatton Academy
1906 College Heights Blvd. #71031
Bowling Green, KY 42101-1031
Gatton to the 10th
Mathematics (3-4 Courses)
Students will be assigned their introductory math course based on prior coursework and placement exam scores administered by the WKU Math Department.
In addition to Math 371, students must also complete Math 137 and all prerequisite courses. Coursework in Math beyond Calculus II is optional and is counted toward STEM electives.
- Math 117 Trigonometry (3 Hours)
- Math 136 Calculus I (4 Hours)
- Math 137 Calculus II (4 Hours)
- Math 371 Computational Problem Solving (3 Hours)
Core Sciences (5 Courses)
Students must complete a minimum of one course from each core science area and at least one two-course introductory sequence.
- Biology 120/121 Biological Concepts: Cells, Metabolism, and Genetics/Lab (4 Hours)
- Biology 122/123 Biological Concepts: Evolutions, Diversity, Ecology/Lab (4 Hours)
- Chemistry 120/121 College Chemistry I/Lab (5 Hours)
- Chemistry 222/223 College Chemistry II/Lab (5 Hours)
- Computer Science 180 Computer Science I/Lab (4 Hours)
- Computer Science 181 Computer Science II (3 Hours)
- Physics 255/256 University Physics I/Lab (5 Hours)
- Physics 265/266 University Physics II/Lab (5 Hours)
STEM Electives (3-4 Courses)
Students may complete their four required STEM electives and associated labs in the following areas: agriculture, architecture, astronomy, biology, chemistry, computer science, engineering, geography, geology, health sciences, manufacturing, mathematics, meteorology, and/or physics.
English (2 Courses)
Students who score a 29 on the English portion of the ACT or a 670 on the critical reading portion of the SAT receive three hours of credit for English 100 and begin with English 200.
- English 100 Introduction to College Writing (3 Hours)
- English 200 Introduction to Literature (3 Hours)
- English 300 Writing in the Disciplines (3 Hours)
Seminar (3 Courses)
- Academy of Math and Science 151 Seminar 1 (1 Hour)
- Academy of Math and Science 152 Seminar 2 (1 Hour)
- Academy of Math and Science 153 Seminar 3 (1 Hour)
Pre-College Requirements (As Needed)
Students will complete additional pre-college requirements as mandated by the Commonwealth of Kentucky and their sending institutions based on previous coursework in their freshman and sophomore years. Previous coursework in English, social sciences, humanities, foreign language, and physical education are credited toward graduation requirements. Courses noted below should be taken only in the case of the absence of previous study during students' freshman and sophomore year.
- History 119 Western Civilization to 1649 (3 Hours)
- History 120 Western Civilization Since 1649 (3 Hours)
- History 241 United States History Since 1865 (3 Hours)
- Political Science 110 American National Government (3 Hours)
- Physical Education 100 Health and Wellness (3 Hours)
- Art 100 Art Appreciation (3 Hours)
- Music 120 Music Appreciation (3 Hours)
- Foreign Languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Biblical Greek, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, and Swahili have been offred in recent semesters at WKU)
After the first semester, Gatton Academy students in good standing are able to take up to 18 credit hours free of charge, including optional electives. Students wishing to take more than 18 must seek the permission of the Coordinator for Student Success.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,